Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Would you pass your community onto your children?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
It's a common thing to do when owning business. You pass your business onto your children to resume the business and ensure they have a bright future ahead with the company that you started from the ground. But, what about forums?

What to do with our forums when we are no longer able to manage them? For many of us, our forums are a passion and a legacy that we may want to pass down to future generations, especially our children.

So, what are the best practices for passing your forum over to your children? And, what are some of the challenges and considerations to keep in mind?

• Start the conversation early. Discuss your plans for the future of your forum with your children, and gauge their level of interest and commitment to taking over the reins.
  • Plan for the transfer of ownership. This may involve updating legal documents, transferring domain names, and transferring access to the forum software and hosting account.
  • Provide training and support to your children. Teach them the skills they need to manage and maintain the forum, and provide ongoing guidance and support as needed.
  • Establish a clear vision and mission for the future of the forum. This will help ensure that your children continue to operate the forum in a way that is consistent with your values and goals.
  • Consider alternative options if your children are not interested or able to take over the forum. This may include finding a new owner, transferring the forum to a nonprofit organization, or closing the forum down.
You can ensure that your forum continues to thrive even after you are no longer able to manage it. You can also help ensure that your legacy and passion for the forum are passed down to future generations.

Do you have any other tips or experiences to share? Let's work together to support each other as we navigate this important aspect of forum ownership.

Advertisement Placeholder
First, they'd have to be of the age of course. If they don't have any interest or passion for what the forum is about, then I don't think passing it down to them would do much good. They become the owner once you pass on ownership to them, so I suppose they could truly do whatever they wish to the board and you'd have to accept that fact. I think it could work, but of course, not everyone has the same viewpoint of how a forum is run or set up, so it could end up being the total opposite of what you originally created.

You can only be able to do this if your kids are interested in forums. If they don't use forums, I don't think it's going to be any easy for them to care about running and managing one. This is the first consideration to look out for when thinking about handing over your forum to your children.

I don't want kids myself but if I ever did change my mind I don't think I'd pass my websites off to my children unless they were interested in owning them in the future. It's the same as a business, sure it's great to try and keep it in the family but if the child or children don't have interest in the site they probably wouldn't want to keep up with the maintenance.

The current generation of children have no interest in forums so by the time I have children, I highly doubt they will either so probably not. But if my child was mature enough and passionate about it, maybe.

I believe that this is a splendid idea. we often forget that children live what they learn. My daughter is always curious about what I do and how I manage to make a living from it. So, when she turned ten, I started the exploration process. Would she be interested?

The first thing she grew to understand was that forums cost a lot of work and time. It pays little, but it is possible to do if you enjoy doing it. So, sometimes during her vacations, I let her write some of my answers. I hope she will get the idea, and make a decision one day when she is old enough.

But for now, I love the interest she has.

I think it is doable if the forum is a prosperous business, so, they can continue it. But for the most part, it is something that we enjoy doing more than the monetary reward.
If our kids decide to have/keep a forum, it will be with topics of their own interest and not necessarily our own.

I don't have children and also not to mention that would you end up not owning a forum when the day comes, I mean if you have young kids and it's going to take 15 years till they are old enough to take over then that site might not be around another 15 to 20 years. Also 20 years' time things can change on sites, online might be so different.

But then again if they are so interested in the business then they might take over but I end up selling or giving it to someone who is very active and knows what that person is doing.

First, I'd want to make sure they'd want to take on that responsibility in the first place. If they didn't want to deal with that, then I wouldn't force them into it. There would have to be a conversation first to see if there was any interest first off.

Second, and this is assuming they are interested in the community in the first place, I'd introduce them to the community. Let them join and participate in the community first.....get a feel for it. If they are still wanting it after that, the it will be theirs. There will be some discussions along the way, I'm sure. Things like.....
- How do you like the community?
- What are your plans for the future?
- What do you think you'd keep?
- What do you think you'd change?

Lastly, and this is assuming they are NOT interested then I'd find someone else that is and probably end up selling it. Then my child(ren) could spend their money however they see fit or spend it on something that they are interested in.

My kids could care less about my hobby (other than they like that it keeps me busy and are willing to gift items to enhance it) that the site is based upon. If I died tomorrow.. it would die upon the next renewal date of the VPS hosting service.
That's why I've left instructions if my site ever does take off for my wife/children to be able to sell it if they desire to do so... any additional "Dads Dead" money will help them.

If the forum is making money or run as a proper business then potentially yes, but I think the best option in most cases would be to hand the baton onto another member that is willing to take over, that has been there for the long haul and willing to put the work in. My kids also couldn't care less about what I'm into, plus they wouldn't even know that forums exist on the internet - in fact id guess 95% of kids under 20 wouldn't know what a forum is. Facebook, TikTok, Instagram have pretty much taken care of that.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds