Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Why we need to kill passwords (telegraph)

Christopher1

Addicted member
Credits
Here's an interesting article from telegraph

From the article:

It’s a baffling ask, so it’s no surprise that we’re not very good at following this advice. A study in 2007 found that we use just seven passwords for 25 online accounts; and given the inexorable rise of the web in the nine years since, it’s now more likely to be seven passwords for 50 or 100. Many of these, according to a list of the world’s most popular passwords from security firm SplashData, are likely to be obvious: “123456”, “password” and so on. Even if they aren’t, several of them are likely to be variations on the same word: “football”, “f00tball” and “Football999”. As for changing them, that only happens when we’ve forgotten our passwords and have to reset them.

I tend to agree that we don't change our passwords nearly enough and it's definitely a threat to over-all cybersecurity. What say you?

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't think changing passwords does much, to be honest. If you're using a 15 character password that's completely unique from a random password generator, you'll be fine. If you password is just WebsiteForums1, you have a pretty good chance of being hacked. I've only been hacked once (no idea how they got my password), but since then, I've learned to make my passwords longer. I haven't ever had anything hacked that followed my above advice.

Also - two factor auth is pretty cool. It's pretty much impossible to hack that.

I honestly agree with you. I personally never change the passwords that I have unless I have to. And I pretty much keep all my passwords the same. So, it poses a problem.

Most of the password used in simple websites can be hacked. But we should take into consideration the fact that hackers can find out our credentials using phishing pages. Phishing pages are very dangerous and constitute a phenomenon nowadays. Every day, thousands of people go to phishing pages. Antivirus softwares are indispensable.

In addition, I enjoy the new feature of PayPal, DropBox and other companies. This features enables us to enter our account and our files (or our transactions) using our Touch ID. It's awesome and very safe. It's also fast and cool! :smirk:

You want to use all characters, symbols, ect in the password. Keeping them easy and short is just asking for trouble. Most of my passwords are 12-20 characters long and unless they aren't important, none of them are the same.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds