Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Why should I pay my taxes when so there are so many persons not doing so?

NetGuru

Credits
We all have thousands of persons in all countries all over the world not paying the mandatory taxes that they are suppose to pay, and so, the ones who are paying the taxes, are paying for those who aren't paying, this may seem like a really preposterous question, but why should the ones who are paying the taxes, pay for the ones who aren't?

Advertisement Placeholder
It does seem like a preposterous question. You need to understand the value and importance of taxes. In most countries they re-distribute a small amount of the wealth of the richest few to the most vulnerable. Even if you don't believe in that (which you should because inequality has proven to slow an economies growth), you personally benefit from taxes. The infrastructure and services which the government provides directly and indirectly benefits you. A government service that seems inconsequential, like one which advises and connects entrepreneurs, could result in the creation of an amazing product which is absolutely vital to you. Some Governments just need to improve their methods of collecting tax from those who are evading it. The biggest problem that I see in the tax system worldwide is the ability for multinationals to shift their profits around and pay very little in the way of tax. Google is completely hypocritical with it's "motto" of "don't be evil". They should take a good look at themselves.

Last edited:
Simply because usually the revenue services have powers that make the polices look soft and they are not scared to use them. While many do risk not paying sods law says if you join them you will be the one the revenue services catch up with and punished.

I know a friend who recently had a letter drop on his door from the Inland Revenue due to his earnings on Ebay. Modest earnings at that, but he should have paid tax. How they found out about him noone knows, but the morale to the story is this - if you are avoiding tax, sleep with one eye open as they 'probably' will catch you.

Very good input Sam and Phil, and thank you for your comment cyber puppet, which country are you from Phil?

Well I can bet that Ebay reports members earnings to the respective government agencies in the countries their members reside in. Since Ebay earns revenue from every sale, they have to report the earnings they made, and the income the seller made as well. If they don't report the income that went to the seller, then Ebay would have to pay the tax instead of being able to write off that amount.

The only way you would never, ever get caught would be if you only deal in cash, only earn from people in person (not online), and never put your money in a bank. If you stay off the grid, it's harder to track your income and expenses.

why should the ones who are paying the taxes, pay for the ones who aren't?

I could write a few books on the subject and get into the spiritual, philosophical and ethical reasons, but there is only one important reason for anybody who leaves a paper trail on the internet to pay their taxes:

If you value your freedom, do not give the powers that be an opportunity to take an interest in you.

It does seem like a preposterous question. You need to understand the value and importance of taxes. In most countries they re-distribute a small amount of the wealth of the richest few to the most vulnerable. Even if you don't believe in that (which you should because inequality has proven to slow an economies growth), you personally benefit from taxes. The infrastructure and services which the government provides directly and indirectly benefits you. A government service that seems inconsequential, like one which advises and connects entrepreneurs, could result in the creation of an amazing product which is absolutely vital to you. Some Governments just need to improve their methods of collecting tax from those who are evading it. The biggest problem that I see in the tax system worldwide is the ability for multinationals to shift their profits around and pay very little in the way of tax. Google is completely hypocritical with it's "motto" of "don't be evil". They should take a good look at themselves.
To be fair, their shareholders would rip them apart, if they didn't take every legal means possible to avoid taxes. That said, there are plenty of other issues with Google.

It's up to you. One of the reasons is that you are in legal bounds if you pay them. Also, at least in my country, if you pay taxes you raise your pension balance and you get free healthcare. I've seen many that declare and pay only the tax that goes for minimal wage only to have these advantages or facilities, even if they have a much bigger revenue.

It's up to you. One of the reasons is that you are in legal bounds if you pay them. Also, at least in my country, if you pay taxes you raise your pension balance and you get free healthcare. I've seen many that declare and pay only the tax that goes for minimal wage only to have these advantages or facilities, even if they have a much bigger revenue.
Well, in the US it's really not a choice. If you don't pay your taxes, you get fined. If you continue to not pay your taxes and your fines, you can go to jail for tax evasion, which is a federal crime here.

Personally I feel as though taxes are too high in America. That being said, you should pay what you owe. Not a dime more, and not a dime less. It's the moral and ethical thing to do.

You aren't paying taxes for the people who don't pay taxes. If your neighbor doesn't pay his taxes, it doesn't affect how much you pay. I claim all my income and pay my taxes because it's the law, but also because I feel morally obligated to do so. After all, I take advantage of all the services that those taxes pay for like decent roads and the local fire department.

You aren't paying taxes for the people who don't pay taxes. If your neighbor doesn't pay his taxes, it doesn't affect how much you pay. I claim all my income and pay my taxes because it's the law, but also because I feel morally obligated to do so. After all, I take advantage of all the services that those taxes pay for like decent roads and the local fire department.
In principle I agree with you, but there are some things that my tax dollars are spent on that I really wish they weren't. Like a study on the plasticity of duck penises. No joke - the US Federal Government wasted tax dollars on that. Ugh!

I have heard proposed (in fiction but some authors use fiction to introduce ideas for discussion that may have real relevance or it may be a proper theory I have not see elsewhere) that taxation levels should be set by mathematical analysis of infrastructure cost/benefit and then fixed permanently with government required to stay within its limits. The theory being that a properly efficient government would have no problem doing so and any government that claimed otherwise would either be failing, or seeking to extend its remit beyond its proper sphere.

I don't know why you have to ask this unless you're a self-centered person with no sense of responsibility (which I'm guessing you aren't). The thing is, asking this question is no different from asking "Why you work while others aren't?" 'Cause if the person isn't working, then he/she would have no cause to pay taxes. Think of it as your way of contributing to the betterment of society. This in fact gives you more right to complain and demand justice from the government in the event it fails to deliver as it should. The taxes you pay make the government accountable to you and your government. Those who don't pay taxes have no right to complain and should just quietly hold their peace.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds