Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Why do you not tell others about your mental health?

Credits
I am marking it as triggering just in case.

So why do you not tell anyone about your mental health? I do not like telling people outside of doctors and possible partners for obvious reasons. I will not tell any partner until I know for sure we'd hit it off and actually be a thing. It's hypothetical, not really happening with me at this time. I also feel like there's still a stigma for having mental health issues, and seeking help for these issues.

At the end of the day, I only disclose these issues with certain close people and my medical care team.

Advertisement Placeholder
I tend to only speak to my doctors and also my other half about my mental health and also in some cases, I will also tell my parents as well.

The main reason I only tell a select few people is because I feel as though I am a burden or that I will look as though I am attention-seeking rather than actually struggling.

I tend to only speak to my doctors and also my other half about my mental health and also in some cases, I will also tell my parents as well.

The main reason I only tell a select few people is because I feel as though I am a burden or that I will look as though I am attention-seeking rather than actually struggling.
Same. I just don't like opening up about my mental health struggles or even medical issues to just anyone.

I too think there is a stigma behind mental health, and being male can sometimes make it worse because there is also the stigma that we have to be tough and concur life without the help of others or medication. When I've told people in the past they seemed to be speechless as if it were a myth. I only tell my doctor, my family, and my very best friends about my mental health these days. Currently, I don't have any friends whatsoever and I've never been in a relationship, I have always been very cautious about whom I befriend because sometimes I feel like I'll just be entirely judged for having mental health issues.

I don't like telling people because for one, they don't give a shit. There's a few people that I've told about my depression issues. I can't tell my mother because it upsets her, so she's not someone I can confide. I've told my therapist, a few friends, and my wife. That's all.

For me it's the whole "guy" thing, I feel like no one cares and when I have a significant other, she will start looking for the next guy. This is what happened to my previous marriage. I had a complete mental breakdown, and all she could care about was someone strong who didn't have these issues. As a guy, we are taught that everything we do can be walked off or shaken off. we get hurt, "Walk it off you will be OK" We get our feelings hurt "Oh suck it up and deal with it." So I just deal with it. I don't have anyone to talk to nor do I want to burden someone with my issues unless they care for me and I care for them and they understand my issues.

My ex-wife had depression and anxiety, I think the reason we had an issue was that she was confiding in another man about her issues, and when I asked her why she didn't tell me. "oh you wouldn't understand" or "I can't explain it" To me that is red flags, so earlier last year I asked for a divorce. Plus the dude she was confiding in was a convicted sex offender so that was another red flag for me. So unless I hit it off with someone and they tell me their issues I will tell them mine.

I can resonate with you, @Sinistra! The whole "manly" factor is ridiculous and in general, is just as bad for our mental health. To hold our feelings in just builds up over time and is usually let out through mental breakdowns or anger, which people often wonder why men are so aggressive, well then there's your answer! We're looked down upon by a lot of people in society when we express our feelings or just get laughed in the face. It's maddening that people fight for equality but still go by society's stereotypical belief system. There will never be equality between both sexes.

Over here in my country, a lot of people don't even understand what it means to have mental health issues. They all have this mindset about mental health being related to madness. So, when they don't see you running mad on the street, they won't get what you mean by mental health issues. This is why those suffering from mental health issues tend to keep to themselves because others won't understand them.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds