Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What was your first forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
Yup, celebrating 20 years this year! Started in 2002, that's just scary. We started on Suddenlaunch, have had two boardnation boards and also Invisionfree/Zetaboards. We're now on a paid platform, InvisionCommunity. We've always been a small community but I'm proud that we're still around, not easy these days.

Yup, celebrating 20 years this year! Started in 2002, that's just scary. We started on Suddenlaunch, have had two boardnation boards and also Invisionfree/Zetaboards. We're now on a paid platform, InvisionCommunity. We've always been a small community but I'm proud that we're still around, not easy these days.
A small community lasting that long is a great community :) If this is as big as FAF gets but lasts that long, I'd be fine with that :) It's about the people, not the vanity stats.

A small community lasting that long is a great community :) If this is as big as FAF gets but lasts that long, I'd be fine with that :) It's about the people, not the vanity stats.

Yeah absolutely. The amount of positive memories I've had over the last 20 years is unreal, so much happiness. Wouldn't change it for the World.

If I was to ask you what the 1% was, what would you say?
Just a few bad experiences, mistakes that I made, dealing with spammers.

I think a lot of folks dwell on forums not being as popular as there were but it would be silly of anyone not to expect that wouldn't had happened, right?

I mean eventually social media will fade away, especially AR and VR really advances.

My first forum is my current and only one, 17 years old as of Christmas. My friend's forum which I administer is 21 years old and still going strong. They build models of planes that never existed, we research planes that never got built.

I identified a specific niche interest within "Aviation" I was keen on, but didn't seem to be catered for. I made posts on 3 or 4 existing forums of the kind of stuff I found interesting, and got some good responses to it. When I created my forum, I made quite a few posts of content of the same type, and then posted about having created my own forum and largely stopped posting on other forums.

Things grew from there.

My tip for success is, make a forum on a subject you yourself are passionate about. People arrive for the content, but stay for the community.

It's one of the best things I ever did. Led to me meeting the authors of books I'd read as a kid. Geeking out with other authors and long time aviation professionals while on holiday in California. Interviewed the designer of the Harrier Jump Jet and wrote a book. Made lifelong friends.

All from the forum.

My first forum is my current and only one, 17 years old as of Christmas. My friend's forum which I administer is 21 years old and still going strong. They build models of planes that never existed, we research planes that never got built.

I identified a specific niche interest within "Aviation" I was keen on, but didn't seem to be catered for. I made posts on 3 or 4 existing forums of the kind of stuff I found interesting, and got some good responses to it. When I created my forum, I made quite a few posts of content of the same type, and then posted about having created my own forum and largely stopped posting on other forums.

Things grew from there.

My tip for success is, make a forum on a subject you yourself are passionate about. People arrive for the content, but stay for the community.

It's one of the best things I ever did. Led to me meeting the authors of books I'd read as a kid. Geeking out with other authors and long time aviation professionals while on holiday in California. Interviewed the designer of the Harrier Jump Jet and wrote a book. Made lifelong friends.

All from the forum.

That's awesome! Massive congrats on your success!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds