Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

What type of restrictions do you place on new members?

Beverly

Renowned member
Credits
Do you place restrictions on new forum members, such as not allowing private messages to be sent until after a minimum number of posts? Maybe you restrict signature line to those who have been on forum for 90 days. Or, you might make some subforums read only for new members who have not proven their worth (with valuable post contributions) to the forum. What are some of the ways you make new forum members earn their place on your forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
I placed a restriction where new members who were less than a week old could not post any signatures of url links. It really helped whenever somebody tried to spam the forum. I also placed some restrictions in certain forums .

I placed a restriction where new members who were less than a week old could not post any signatures of url links. It really helped whenever somebody tried to spam the forum. I also placed some restrictions in certain forums .
I never thought of that but it is definitely a great way to prevent spammers.

I do not understand why some forums do not allow members to have a profile picture until a certain number of posts!

I do not understand why some forums do not allow members to have a profile picture until a certain number of posts!
That's too much restriction. I like the members to have some type of freedom :S If I was on a forum where I couldn't even put a profile picture up I would just leave and not come back lol .

We restrict PM usage and signature usage for all new member to prevent the use of spam in either of these places. We allow them to have these once they have 10 posts on the forum that are good quality posts. We have never had any problems with new members when using this method.
I was on a forum where the staff tried implementing this and it didn't work. The staff were being called tyrants and controlling. But I restrict certain words and phrases through pm which makes it almost impossible to advertise through pm.

Currently I do not have any restriction placed on new members. I do not think there is a need for that.

I currently don't have any restrictions either, I think its unnecessary, some may ask new members to post a specific amount to post in a specific section.

I do not place any restriction on my new members. I think they should feel welcomed at first, and not felt like the cold, untrusted child until they "prove" themselves.

Yeah, I agree with iPhoneFreak, new members should feel welcome and not feel like they are in jail or something like that.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds