Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Were you part of a site that totally changed its focus?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.
Credits
I’ll never forget the time I was part of an anime forum about ten years ago. It was a tight-knit community—small but close. We’d been chatting about our favorite shows for months when, one day, I logged in to find everything had changed. Without any warning, the forum owner had rebranded the whole site to focus on a completely different anime. The design, the colors, even the logo was different.

At first, I was in shock. I had no idea this was coming, and it felt like I had walked into the wrong place. Sure, we were still the same group of people, but something felt... off. Some members were cool with it, but others weren’t so happy. It made me think about how much control owners should have over their communities and how changes like this affect the group.
  • Should forum owners be able to make big changes without asking the community first?
  • How would you feel if your favorite forum suddenly changed its focus without warning?

Advertisement Placeholder
From what I remember of all the forums I have been on, I have never known any of them to change their focus.

I am all for people wanting to possibly change the focus, sometimes you do have to if the current focus is not working out for you. When it comes to having an already established community though and then changing the focus, that is never a good idea and will only lead to you losing members of your community, especially if you never consulted with your community first before making the decision.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 7)

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds