Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Using Subdomains Vs Creating Muti-Site

Kane

Captain Junkie
Credits
Using Subdomains Vs Creating Muti-Site
Subdomain is a secondary domain within your website. your subdomain will look like subdomain.mysite.com. By using a subdomain on your site you can create a lot of additional websites within your main site.

Multi-Site is a feature offered by some content management systems where you can create a lot of websites within your main websites. In order to add multi-site functionality on your website, you will have to choose that option while installing content management system (I am talking about wordpress, I do not know about multi-site options on other content management systems). When you create multisite, your website will look like mysite.com/mutisite1, mysite.com/multisite2 etc.

Have you tried to create additional sites within your main site?

Advertisement Placeholder
Since I have never owned a website, I know nothing about subdomain sites and multi sites. based on what I have read here, I think multisite website is good if you have a lot of users on your site.

Multi site is good option for sites where there are multi users as on ecommerce site. It can be also a better option if you want to create niche site within your main site.

A subdomain would make more sense than creating multi websites. If you create multiple websites, some people won't like visiting different websites for similar information.

When it comes to creating subdomains for your website or creating different website, I would actually pick creating subdomains for your website rather than creating different sites that will be quite difficult to manage several websites than just a website which has different subdomains.

I don't know anything about the topic before but from what you explain, I think the subdomain will be better because it will be easier to control and manage compare to multi site.

I still prefer using sub domains over having multiple websites. One can create giant website as the mother domain and have the sub domains as the arms other the parent domain. This will make the interconnection of all the domains very easier

Multisite Subdomains Require More Management Time. Every subdomain you add to your Multisite network is an entirely different website. Websites installed on subdomains require more server resources to manage and should be seen as separate businesses.

If you are creating a site with a lot of members, you need to either create a subdomain for each members or let them create a multi site. Ranking for subdomain can be harder though

Their is no need going for subdomain domain site, I'll simply go straight with a primary domain and not opting for any secondary option, so I wouldn't be creating sub domains for members.

I'll prefer to creating multiple sites than using sub domains. It would look so unprofessional considering the relatively cheap cost of having a website. Having yourdomain.com/subpage is better than having subpage.yourdomain.com.
If I was a user, I'll not click the latter no matter what.

Nope I haven't even tried it. In fact I must say I didn't even know you could do this. But benefits is there when you own multiple sites from the main sites, it is like having multiple accounts on the same forum.

WP Multisite Subdomains Require More Management Time. Every subdomain you add to your Multisite network is an entirely different website. Websites installed on subdomains require more server resources to manage and should be seen as separate businesses

I personally have never done this because there is a lot of work that goes into it and i think that it will also involve a lot of maintenance as well in order to ensure that each sub site is working completely properly.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds