Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Text Speak

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
Do you allow text speak on your forums? If I was running my own forum (Which I am not at this moment in time) I wouldn't allow it. I can put up with the 'ur', 'u' and 'lol' and stuff but when people start typing whole paragraphs of the stuff I crack up inside!

What about you, do you allow it?

Advertisement Placeholder
definitely not. lol, pmsl etc are ok and like you i will tolerate u and ur but any more than that i take action

I hate it personally- you don't really save time using text speak anyway and it looks so bad- like you're uneducated or something. I will tolerate it occasionally but only if the person is in a real rush or posting from their phone or something. I suppose I'm a GRAMMAR NAZI!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6060107/grammar-nazis

Bro, grammar Nazi's should abuse the caps lock. I am disappoint. :( I'm kidding, haha. I agree with your perspective as it is the most annoying thing possible. I always call my friends out on it if they're on Facebook and doing it.

If someone text talks to me on chat, I will try to l33t talk with them! :p

hEy xPl017er, 1 4m 9O1n' 7O 74Lk 1n lEe7 5PeEk 7O joo 4Z Well. WOOoO!

I win. :p You should always do 1337 speak to people though, those that don't know it, hate it! Haha.

another question though is can admins be too strict the other way around? there are lots of times on forums i will type like i talk - and know full well my grammar talking is not A1 - i dont think talking anyones is - and an admin that is going to start commenting about punctuation and word order is going to be real off putting.

having said that i confess to a personal thing about the spelling of there their and they're - however i dont ever pick people up on it i just growl at my monitor

Definately not, people come from all different backgrounds and for you, English may not be their first language. That said, it does depend if you've clearly outlined your stance on using proper grammar and that. A forum I know of has this rule plastered on its site.

Language - Only write in British English, In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members. Do not use text speak at all. Write concisely and do not ramble.
To me, that would give the owner grounds to pick people out should his or her members go around talking like that but having such a rule diminishes the diversity of his community in my opinion. But thats just me.

Favor and Favour- my computer and iPad keep wanting to use American spelling! That pisses me off, especially with the z's like in optimization when it should be optimisation in British/NZ/Australian/Canadian English. I personally think its some sort of coup by Americans to change our spelling....

i tend to ignore the spelling check when it flags things like that - if i know the word is correct i leave it

besides if their are too different spellings using a spell cheque will think all words are write when they are wrong

Favor and Favour- my computer and iPad keep wanting to use American spelling! That pisses me off, especially with the z's like in optimization when it should be optimisation in British/NZ/Australian/Canadian English. I personally think its some sort of coup by Americans to change our spelling....

Don't get me started on all the variants of English lol. I regularly get chastised by my teachers at college because the spell check decides to include American words all over the place.

Ame or bre? What are you referring to there lol? Sorry If I am missing something. :p

And yeh, praise be to the spell checker, haha.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds