Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Supporting needy members on your community

Credits
One of the most intriguing aspects of running a forum is the diverse range of members we encounter. While many contribute actively and thrive in our online community, there are also those who may require additional support and attention. In this discussion, we invite you to share your experiences and strategies for identifying and assisting needy members on your forum.

Every forum has its fair share of members who may require extra assistance or attention due to various reasons. Whether it's seeking guidance, dealing with personal issues, or struggling with technical aspects, these "needy" members play a vital role in shaping our community dynamics. This topic serves to discuss and exchange ideas about recognizing and supporting such individuals effectively.

1. Identifying Needy Members:
    • How do you differentiate between regular members and those in need of additional support?
    • Are there any common traits or behaviors that signal someone as a needy member?
    • Share any specific incidents or patterns you've noticed that have helped you identify such individuals.
  2. Understanding Their Needs:
    • What are the typical needs or challenges that arise among needy members?
    • Have you encountered any recurring themes or specific areas where members require assistance?
    • How do you approach understanding and empathizing with their situations?
  3. Providing Support:
    • Share your strategies for supporting and assisting needy members.
    • What measures have you implemented to ensure their concerns are addressed promptly?
    • Have you established any community guidelines or resources specifically aimed at helping these individuals?
  4. Balancing Resources and Priorities:
    • Discuss the challenges of allocating time and resources to assist needy members while managing other forum responsibilities.
    • How do you strike a balance between addressing their needs and maintaining a healthy forum environment?
    • Share any tips or strategies you've employed to optimize your efforts in supporting members effectively.
  5. Success Stories and Lessons Learned:
    • Have you successfully helped a needy member overcome their challenges?
    • Share any positive experiences or lessons learned from assisting members in need.
    • Reflect on any instances where you might have faced difficulties or struggled to provide adequate support, and how you overcame them.
Do you have any needy members on your community? Supporting needy members on your community is a crucial aspect of an inclusive and supportive community.

Advertisement Placeholder
I don't always like the term needy, but I do understand the point of this topic and it is indeed important. Often times though I feel like our "needy" members help us mold the forum to be better navigated by all users.

Firstly I identify "needy" members as those who are perhaps not as familiar with forums in general, but do want to participate. Members who may not know where certain topics go, and really this feedback helps you as an administrator realize perhaps your forum layout is not cohesive enough or laid out well enough for the average user to be able to navigate it. They may often make use of the PM system to ask questions or may use the "feedback and suggestions" type area to ask frequent questions.

I think I kind of discussed what are typical needs or challenges. Typically it is something to do with navigation of the forum. However there are the users who are upset and come to you frequently and that could become found as "needy" these users are often challenged with feeling 'not part of the community' or they have several disagreements with a user, or more than one user and they would like help to fix it. The main way I approach understanding and empathizing is by giving them a space where they can feel free to speak freely and know that I will try to help, or if I can not help specifically, I will try to find a solution. In my community guidelines I indeed has some of these things discussed and laid out so users could feel at home.

4. Balancing Resources and Priorities - If users frequently PM'd me and perhaps I was not able to handle it right then and there I would at least let them know that I was unavailable at that time and I would give them an estimate of how long it would be until I could come to a computer and fix/help with whatever it was. Sometimes I would say I was at work or what not, but then recommend perhaps making a topic in the feedback area so that way other users could provide some suggestions as well. Just being honest with people about your available time I think is a good thing - we are all humans and we are not able to handle everything in the moment, especially now a days that most of us on forums truly have a life outside of the online world.

I know I also had staff that would attend to certain topics if mentioned. Such as if the person had a question about graphics, I would recommend they put it in the graphics area and I might tag a user or two that can support them. I think there are many ways to help a member become part of the community and grow!

I've seen administrators of successful forums run a no bullsh*t policy and that appears to work.

You PM them - you get a reply to your question no more, no less - not in a rude way but in a "that's your answer". I think that works, there is no need to be rude or anything like that just upfront and honest.

If you suggest something, you will be told if it's good or bad and then that's it - they will either implement it or they wont.

I personally like this way of dealing with everyone, you know where you stand and that is it. The staff are there if you need them but 9/10 depending on the size of the forum there is a job to be done so they cannot be your friend. That's where other members come in - peer to peer support and you can facilitate this with forums, events & different plugins etc.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds