Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

SSL Certificates

Thomasss

Addicted member
Credits
For many forums I don't see SSL certificates on the little address bar and for some I do. Do you guys use a SSL Certificate on your forums, and is it a good idea to use one?

For me, I installed a SSL Cert (for free, by the way.) and I love it. Makes the site look 10x better with that little green lock. <3 The only thing is, if someone embeds an image on a post or their signature, the green turns to gray as there is an "unencrypted source" but for the most part the green lock is everywhere and it's awesome. :D

Advertisement Placeholder
The only way that I would use an SSL certificate on the forum would be if users could purchase things directly from the forum and not from third party pay centers like PayPal and Amazon. Though, with my HogEx forum, it is possible to use SSL. That said, it's not needed for the reasons previously stated.

Of course! It gives the impression of a more safer, and secure website. Not to mention that Google DOES rank your site based on SSL now. It is pretty much a MUST! Regardless of how small the ranking factor is.

he only thing is, if someone embeds an image on a post or their signature, the green turns to gray as there is an "unencrypted source"
That's because you are not utilizing the image proxy :wink: It makes all out sourced images come from your domain via a proxy and therefore, keeps your domain secure and safe. Keeping your padlock green!

Really, I highly recommend everyone to getting an SSL. Even if Google didn't consider it as a ranking factor, it is just nice knowing that the internet is getting sager by the day with more and more websites adding SSL.

The only way that I would use an SSL certificate on the forum would be if users could purchase things directly from the forum
Don't matter if you sell products or not. Your users still provide email addresses, names, and passwords, all of which they likely use on other sites. The old classic tale of "I don't need an SSL because I don't sell anything on my site" is out dated, and pre historic.

The only way that I would use an SSL certificate on the forum would be if users could purchase things directly from the forum and not from third party pay centers like PayPal and Amazon. Though, with my HogEx forum, it is possible to use SSL. That said, it's not needed for the reasons previously stated.

This. I'm not sure it would make sense otherwise.

While SSL is "cool" to have on a forum, I see no reason for most forums to have it. Like others have said, SSL is more for when extremely private information like card numbers, Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, etc. are being sent through a connection. These types of important things are not usually sent through a connection to a forum.

I guess it would depend on the content of my site and the amount of traffic. If I was running an e-commerce site there is no question about it, I would install certificates. It costs money and if your site doesn't have the traffic I would say no.

Of course! It gives the impression of a more safer, and secure website. Not to mention that Google DOES rank your site based on SSL now. It is pretty much a MUST! Regardless of how small the ranking factor is.

That's because you are not utilizing the image proxy :wink: It makes all out sourced images come from your domain via a proxy and therefore, keeps your domain secure and safe. Keeping your padlock green!

How would I go about doing this? o_O

I agree with @Jordan, using an SSL cert on a forum, no matter the volume of traffic, is a must now in today's day and age. Saying you don't need one because you sell anything is almost like saying you don't need a gun safe because no one will use the gun. People should be able to feel secure on the communities they surf, and have their information protected while signing up. An SSL certificate is almost a must have for every site now a days, and like Jordan said, Google will reward you in the long run. They're literally only $9 a year, if you can pay for the domain, you can pay for a SSL certificate.

I agree with @Jordan, using an SSL cert on a forum, no matter the volume of traffic, is a must now in today's day and age. Saying you don't need one because you sell anything is almost like saying you don't need a gun safe because no one will use the gun. People should be able to feel secure on the communities they surf, and have their information protected while signing up. An SSL certificate is almost a must have for every site now a days, and like Jordan said, Google will reward you in the long run. They're literally only $9 a year, if you can pay for the domain, you can pay for a SSL certificate.

That's a good point. I retract my earlier statement. :)

My point here is that even free SSL is better than No SSL. This shows that You take care of your visitors and safety of their personal data.

:0 You just reminded me I need to get an SSL certificate.

Also I feel that its necessary for any site that holds user information like name, age, email address etc.

I always use SSL in the future for any online community's I make. One factors that Google Ranks your website on is SSL! If you don't have it, it can have massive impacts on your SEO results. It's not that though, it will make website unsecure to visit.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds