Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Snooping on users conversations

Clarendon

Reputable member
Credits
Many plugins are offered for various forum software's for administrators and moderators to be able to snoop on and read any members Private Messages, Direct Messages or Conversations on the forum. While this is legal if you add a disclaimer, I feel that morally it is wrong and wouldn't use this feature personally because after all they are private messages. If a user needs to report something they can use the incorporated report function and make that particular message visible to the staff who can then take the necessary actions.

Advertisement Placeholder
I'm with you. I think that it's just not morally right to do this. Sure, if it's reported because someone was breaking major rules or something I think a staff member should be able to see the message(s).

Many plugins are offered for various forum software's for administrators and moderators to be able to snoop on and read any members Private Messages, Direct Messages or Conversations on the forum.

I find the plugins to be pointless. We have the ability to read this through the database if it is necessary/it is reported. This is within the terms of service when you register for our site. We don't use an off-the-shelf board system.

Although, if you really think an unencrypted communication method is private, you really should reconsider using it.

Last edited:
Browsing through the private messages of users just for shits and giggles is definitely unethical, but there's certainly nothing wrong with dealing with reported PMs. Personally, I wouldn't advise using the private messaging system on any message board for particularly secretive conversations. It's too easy for administrators (or anyone with access to your cPanel) to access it, especially with these different types of plugins available. You never know who is on the other end reading your messages.

I find the plugins to be pointless. We have the ability to read this through the database if it is necessary/it is reported. This is within the terms of service when you register for our site. We don't use an off-the-shelf board system.

Although, if you really think an unencrypted communication method is private, you really should reconsider using it.
That is very true any form of unencrypted communication most certainly is not private. WhatsApp being encrypted seems quite decent but I do judge the validity of that statement.

And yeah going through the database is easy enough

It's like that mate that asks to look at your phone and just starts going through your text messages.
They are supposed to be private otherwise you would just post in the forum? If I found admin/mods were reading my PMs (even though I have nothing to hide) I wouldn't ever go back. Breach of trust in my eyes.

Absolutely unethical. It's just like a host reading personal emails. Although we have the ability to do it? Should we? Absolutely not! Why is it called "Private Message" if you're not allowing them to be private?
Now it's different if the message is reported, then you have every right to read it and take appropriate actions.

I think that any staff member on any forum that would snoop through their users private messages is completely in the wrong. User privacy must be respected. If there is an issue where the private messaging system is concerned, then the PM in question can be reported to staff using the "Report" button. It's just that simple. I have absolutely no respect for those individuals that would stoop to such a dirty level as that.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds