Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Signature Limits

Credits
Some administrators set signature limits on their forums. Sometimes this is to allow for quicker processing times so the website is not trying to load the heavy graphic traffic... Other times it's to help limit how much advertising can really happen in the signature. Some have a "you can have 4 lines" and sometimes they have had it be specific dimensions of how big it could be. What are your thoughts on this? Does it also depend on the forum type?

Advertisement Placeholder
Signature limits need to be put into place to some degree, I think. If someone wanted to, they could have a signature like 25 lines long and that would be an annoyance for users to scroll through every time that user posts on a topic. I don't have any specific rules of this on my board since it seems it's not much of a problem, I've only seen one user so far have a more massive signature on my forum than others. If it becomes a problem I'd ask the user politely to make it smaller or make a new rule regarding it in my board rules.

I've had a couple of members who had ENORMOUS signature images!! If I have time, I'll reduce them for them, but sometimes we just remove them and then we finally had to put something in the rules stating the limits. I know members want their signatures to stand out, but sometimes it's a bit too much.

I didn't at first have signature limits set when I first opened Promotion Addicts and I noticed that some members ended up abusing the system with a long line of links and huge images.

I have since changed the limits on signatures and they increase if you purchase a VIP user upgrade depending on how many months you purchase it for. I felt it better to have something like that as an incentive for those who wish to support the forum.

There needs to be some kind of limit. It is hard to say that there is a right or wrong answer to what that limit should be, but admins need to remember that most users/potential users are there for the posted content and not the signature content.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds