Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Shoutboxes

Sylar

Addicted member
Credits
So, what are you all's opinions on shoutboxes? Do they help a forum, or hurt it?​

Advertisement Placeholder
Shoutboxes are good for forums based on coding and gaming imo.
People stays on forums like those for the whole day and it will be helpful for them in case they have any quick doubt or had to ask a suggestion. But on forums based on webmaster/admin stuffs, I don't think of it as a good addon. Shout boxes reduces the forum activity as people will hangout and keep on posting stuffs on shoutboxes instead of creating stuffs.

Well, thats just me.

Shoutboxes are good for forums based on coding and gaming imo.
People stays on forums like those for the whole day and it will be helpful for them in case they have any quick doubt or had to ask a suggestion. But on forums based on webmaster/admin stuffs, I don't think of it as a good addon. Shout boxes reduces the forum activity as people will hangout and keep on posting stuffs on shoutboxes instead of creating stuffs.

Well, thats just me.
I don't see how you can make that a niche-specific statement. If people have a chatbox, it will take away from activity for sure. No matter the forum niche, type, whatever! Plus, I wouldn't even think about having it for members, just due to the amount of activity it sucks out of the forums. I have one for my staff and premiums, and that sucks away enough activity as it is. Hell, I should just rename my shoutbox "The Forum Vampire" :p

Some forum owners justify using a chat box saying that it keeps random useless chit-chat off the forum threads. But really, isn't that what the general chat/forum games subforum is all about? Just random chatter and comments about trivial things/subjects? At least when all that chatter is documented on the forum threads, it makes your forum look active to search engines and since Google loves active sites that have fresh content, the forum is likely to rank better in search engines. That won't happen from anything posted in a chat box. All those words are wasted.

I have one on my site but it seems like its hardly gettting used. I have been thinking about taking it down. It would appear that most the folks prefer to communicate in threads. Its almost like they know what Beverly was talking about.

I have one on my site but it seems like its hardly gettting used. I have been thinking about taking it down. It would appear that most the folks prefer to communicate in threads. Its almost like they know what Beverly was talking about.
It would probably be best to axe it. :p

Shoutboxes are Forum Vampires, they take away activity and on let's say a general chat board, they can kill the whole thing if people are just coming around for the shoutbox. I was a coadmin once on a general chat forum and the main admin was die hard about a shoutbox, even though it caused several activity problems... It's a nice feature, but you are running a forum damn it! Actually use the discussion areas and leave a shoutbox out of it.

We're going to add one over the Christmas period so that we can have some holiday chatting fun but that is the limit in which we will use the chatbox as I will not want it staying due to activity concerns. I just think it would be nice to talk toy our members properly on the happiest dates of the year. ;)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds