Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Should Learning a Foreign Language be Compulsary?

Atlaerom

Credits
As above.
I mean, look at how much smaller the world is growing - and at the rate it's happening.
It could really benefit the students greatly.

I really regret dropping Japanese (the language I chose, we had a choice between Japanese and German) in year 9. :(

What do you think?
Compulsary or optional?
What would you choose?

Advertisement Placeholder
Compulsory!

Although I find French quite difficult and I am now, I never used to be, one of the worst in the class- I wish I'd been learning since I was in year 5 (age 9)! I would, by now, be able to converse in a variety of different situations and my written work + reading would have been excellent.

Learning a language teaches you a lot about culture and it makes you understand that your country doesn't have the only ideas nor language. It's quite typical of New Zealand and Australia to not learn a second language but this isn't the same in England and I'd imagine, other parts of the world. :)

Absolutely compulsory. I think the language should be the student's choice, but it should definitely be required.

I took three years of German and while it hasn't been overtly useful in day to day life, it opened me up to a culture and way of thinking I believe I'd be less of who I am without it.

Theoretically, taking a language is compulsory, but only in some cases. Most public and private schools make you take a language in Middle and High School (or Year 5-12), otherwise you'd have a penalty for applying to colleges.

(Of course, the people with mental disorders get by this. Thank you Asperger's Syndrome and OCD!)

Theoretically, taking a language is compulsory, but only in some cases. Most public and private schools make you take a language in Middle and High School (or Year 5-12), otherwise you'd have a penalty for applying to colleges.

(Of course, the people with mental disorders get by this. Thank you Asperger's Syndrome and OCD!)

Really? That's odd... At my school, only the top class was to required to take a language- and we still had a couple that didn't bother to.

Here where I am, we don't have compulsory foreign language, but have compulsory second language up to college level.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds