Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Should I use a VPS instead of a large shared plan?

ddoesmc

Recognized member
Credits
Should I use a VPS instead of a large shared plan? I'm not sure what to do when I run into this. I need to act quickly because I have to get a network of something up. (Can't tell for privacy reasons)

Advertisement Placeholder
I mean if it is something small in size, then a shared will be just fine. It's when you get into a lot of traffic, a lot of bandwidth and more that will make a VPS a lot more useful. I think you should be good to go on a good shared hosting until you get more traffic that might otherwise strain a shared hosting.

It all depends on what you're hosting. If you have something along the lines of FP, then yes, a VPS is the way to go. If it's just a small forum like this one, don't worry about it. Shared hosting will be just fine for you. Heck, I host a network of five or six websites on a shared hosting account, and I've never had any problems with it.

Assuming you haven't had any issues with your current shared hosting account, I recommend that you stick with shared hosting. Don't spend the extra money on a VPS if you don't need to.

Should I use a VPS instead of a large shared plan? I'm not sure what to do when I run into this. I need to act quickly because I have to get a network of something up. (Can't tell for privacy reasons)

Definitely not. Unless your website is massive, you can get by on a Shared plan without any issues. The Bandwidth you have on most Shared plans is at least 10 times the amount you'll use for a forum, and I'm sure you won't use up enough CPU to warrant upgrading to a VPS. Being on a VPS is a great way to improve performance for larger sites, but it costs extra money and time. You have to maintain a VPS like you would a baby. You have to constantly check up on it, perform restarts, complex backend fixes and more.

Stick to Shared unless you absolutely have to switch to a VPS or are experienced enough with using a VPS that it won't be hard for you to do so now.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds