Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Scam

Advertisement Placeholder
Not sure if this counts as a "scam", but I was asked to make a couple of web layouts specific for a site once. It was mainly for that site, and was supposed to be used for that site. After giving him everything that he needed (HTML, CSS and even the PSD), I later find out that he sold the two layouts to someone else under his "company's name" for thrice the amount I sold it to him.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away (2004 or so), I had grown tired of my forum and found myself looking to get rid of it; pass it on to someone who would take a better interest in it. In preparation, I migrated from vBulletin to SMF (so I could keep my license).

I posted on some sites and eventually got an offer via email. Everything seemed fine and researching the guy showed he wasn't a bad dude or anything like that. I gave him admin access to my forum to check it out, but little did I know I had overlooked the fact that SMF offered a "download database" option in the AdminCP.

So, he absconds with my database, sets it up elsewhere under a new domain, emails my members promoting the new ownership, etc.

Emails are exchanged, he promises to pay and I even get a "pending payment" via PayPal. I decide to leave it alone for a bit because of real life obligations, and the bastard somehow reversed payment and kept my site. At this point I was too frustrated with the situation and wrapped up in other things going on in my life to spend much energy on it.

A few months later, I found out he had sold it to a competitor who was also a previous owner of the site. He was kind enough to give it back after a period, and all was well. Eventually I gave it to a close friend and the site has been running happily ever since.

tl;dr: I got sick of my site, got screwed by a potential buyer, it got sold to a former owner who gave it back. All is well.

Only time I have been scammed is on games for the gaming currency :p Never been scammed for real life money though, I can consider myself lucky :)

Only time I have been scammed is on games for the gaming currency :p Never been scammed for real life money though, I can consider myself lucky :)

Well I heard a funny runescape scam that I was told the other day- someone at my school does it. He gets a friend, or two, to basically enter into a trade and double their money. So for example, he'll say double 2 million to 4 million for them. Soon a whole heap of people have crowded around him, he takes their money and logs out! :p

Well I heard a funny runescape scam that I was told the other day- someone at my school does it. He gets a friend, or two, to basically enter into a trade and double their money. So for example, he'll say double 2 million to 4 million for them. Soon a whole heap of people have crowded around him, he takes their money and logs out! :p

Yeh I used to do that all the time when I played lol. Gullible people. xD

Another runescape scam I heard was a little more illegal. So the same guy got people to download software that would help their runescape account, with a keylogger. He then took their cash and gave it to one of his friends and they'd give a cut to him. :eek:

Another runescape scam I heard was a little more illegal. So the same guy got people to download software that would help their runescape account, with a keylogger. He then took their cash and gave it to one of his friends and they'd give a cut to him. :eek:

Lol I feel bad but I've done that too back in the days. I did make quite a bit of money from keylogging people. Its just the thrill of being able to get a couple mil instantly and then sell it for real life profit. I've stopped all that now though, clean Haze. :p

Lol I feel bad but I've done that too back in the days. I did make quite a bit of money from keylogging people. Its just the thrill of being able to get a couple mil instantly and then sell it for real life profit. I've stopped all that now though, clean Haze. :p
That reminds me of one thing, my friend did few years back.
Attached a keylogger to a keylogger setupfile, and uploaded it to torrents after setting it up for emailing me the keylogs. :p
Believe it or not, that was seriously fun. I never used any of those datas though!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away (2004 or so), I had grown tired of my forum and found myself looking to get rid of it; pass it on to someone who would take a better interest in it. In preparation, I migrated from vBulletin to SMF (so I could keep my license).

I posted on some sites and eventually got an offer via email. Everything seemed fine and researching the guy showed he wasn't a bad dude or anything like that. I gave him admin access to my forum to check it out, but little did I know I had overlooked the fact that SMF offered a "download database" option in the AdminCP.

So, he absconds with my database, sets it up elsewhere under a new domain, emails my members promoting the new ownership, etc.

Emails are exchanged, he promises to pay and I even get a "pending payment" via PayPal. I decide to leave it alone for a bit because of real life obligations, and the bastard somehow reversed payment and kept my site. At this point I was too frustrated with the situation and wrapped up in other things going on in my life to spend much energy on it.

A few months later, I found out he had sold it to a competitor who was also a previous owner of the site. He was kind enough to give it back after a period, and all was well. Eventually I gave it to a close friend and the site has been running happily ever since.

tl;dr: I got sick of my site, got screwed by a potential buyer, it got sold to a former owner who gave it back. All is well.
Wow, that's pretty incredible. You are very lucky after all, cause you got it back. :)

I've been scammed many times too. I used to invest a lot in Hyips. Everybody knows Hyips are pretty dangerous. I was scammed with $500 once. :(

Well hypes are scams, only a few people manage to make money from them (Generally Hype monitor sites, forum owners etc,)... $500 is a lot to put into a hype! You may want to spread your risk a bit more!

Yes, I was naive back then. Just a teenager willing to make money online. I'm pretty sure I would do better today. ;)

Sure. A couple of weeks ago I was thinking to try again with different methods. I just need to exchange a few dollars from Paypal to Liberty Reserve to give it a try. ;)

Yes I have been and it wasn't fun... scammed for exchanges and affiliates. People haven't returned the favor.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds