Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Same User Login for Multiple Sites?

MyDigitalpoint

Credits
One thing I have always tried to get running is a passport-like service like the one that Microsoft had in their early days that could be nowadays compared with getting oneself signing in different websites with a Facebook account.

In the early days I tried to create a unique members database, that served the login service to my then countless websites, but I never succeeded at all.

Today I know I can use Oauth as an authorization protocol, but I dislike the idea. I still want a plain MySQL solution to get member log in with the same username and password at the different forums and websites that I manage, but without using OAuth nor a third-party service such as get them signing in with their Facebook, Twitter, OpenId or else accounts.

Any ideas please?

Advertisement Placeholder
One thing I have always tried to get running is a passport-like service like the one that Microsoft had in their early days that could be nowadays compared with getting oneself signing in different websites with a Facebook account.

In the early days I tried to create a unique members database, that served the login service to my then countless websites, but I never succeeded at all.

Today I know I can use Oauth as an authorization protocol, but I dislike the idea. I still want a plain MySQL solution to get member log in with the same username and password at the different forums and websites that I manage, but without using OAuth nor a third-party service such as get them signing in with their Facebook, Twitter, OpenId or else accounts.

Any ideas please?

Are you looking to have the databases be running off of one big database?

I dont think that is possible without any third party service, because all sites have different databases and to interconnect all of them at one place, I don't think it will be worth the effort.

Main problem I see on using a third party service is that I had bad experiences with them during my early days developing websites with the confidence they were long-time established companies that suddenly shut down and caused a mess that led me to put offline my sites for months while rebuilding everything.

By that time I had hundreds of domains, today just a dozen but still fearing that reputable third party services of today could shut down or discontinue the service, as Google does.

Are you looking to have the databases be running off of one big database?

Hmm, I'm not sure how to get this done, but wanting to host myself any database involved.

I do remember looking up how to do this a while ago. I can't remember why. I did find: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/44509/single-sign-on-across-multiple-domains

That might give you some ideas. I can see that it could be done but it seems a huge amount of work. You could need to have a master domain and database and replace all your logins to query the database using the master domain's php script. Then whenever the user updates something on their profile... (although for profile update an easy solution might be an iframe).

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds