Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Reading private messages

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
How do you feel about reading private messages of members?

Do you or have you ever practiced this?

I’d love to see those who agree with doing it and how you feel you’re justified as well as those who are opposed to it and why you feel it’s not justified.

Is there any special consideration for reading a member’s private message?

Advertisement Placeholder
Personally, I don't think it is ever appropriate - everyone deserves their privacy, even on a platform owned by someone else. There could also be legitimate legal concerns as well unless it's explicitly stated (and there is no expectation of privacy).

The only case I can think of it being useful if for users who are minors, where messages can be monitored to ensure there's no grooming or potential exploitation - even then I'd rather just disable PMs then deal with that.

I do agree with everyone that we shouldn't read them just to do it - it's unethical, IMO.

But I know there are people who disagree and think that they're not as private as people make them out to be.

If I were to join a forum that practiced it, I would either not use the PM system at all or not join/be active after finding out.

I do agree with everyone that we shouldn't read them just to do it - it's unethical, IMO.

But I know there are people who disagree and think that they're not as private as people make them out to be.

If I were to join a forum that practiced it, I would either not use the PM system at all or not join/be active after finding out.

I pretty much try to remember that even in PMs, whatever I write could potentially become public at any point...whether intentional or not. So I try to post with that in mind, as in Would I want anyone to ever see this?? If no, don't type it.

Personally, I don't think it is ever appropriate - everyone deserves their privacy, even on a platform owned by someone else. There could also be legitimate legal concerns as well unless it's explicitly stated (and there is no expectation of privacy).

The only case I can think of it being useful if for users who are minors, where messages can be monitored to ensure there's no grooming or potential exploitation - even then I'd rather just disable PMs then deal with that.
I was thinking this and you beat me to it 🤣

Of course, we all know that nobody reads them... but your rules should contain similar to this

Conversations (also known as direct messages)​

Conversations between users CAN be reviewed by admin and staff. We do not make a habit of reviewing users conversations, but if they are reported and contain rule violations of the site, we will take action against the writer. Basically, consider the conversations as the same as a public post, just direct between the participants. Don't post anything that violates our terms of service.

The privacy policy should cover this too, which only paranoid ppl read.
Yeah, but the TOS is something one has to agree to (at least on my site) before they can create an account. The privacy policy is simply to meet certain government "requirements". I don't remember if i mandate acceptance of it or not honestly... been so long since I set the site up. To me accepting the site rules are more important.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the TOS is something one has to agree to (at least on my site) before they can create an account. The privacy policy is simply to meet certain government "requirements". I don't remember if i mandate acceptance of it or not honestly... been so long since I set the site up. To me accepting the site rules are more important.
Agreed but best to put it in both just to satisfy legal requirements. The privacy policy is the first place law enforcement I imagine wiuld refer to.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds