Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Putting a Donate button on your forum

NationTalk

Website
nationtalk.us
Credits
I recently read that some forums make a decent go of it just through donations! All you need is one wealthy benefactor who likes your site I guess. Anyway, I just put a PayPal donation button on the bottom of my site and am hoping for the best. Any other experiences with donation buttons out there?

Advertisement Placeholder
If your forum is useful to your members, I think you can get lots of donations.

Putting a donation button on your forum is not a bad idea.

I recently read that some forums make a decent go of it just through donations! All you need is one wealthy benefactor who likes your site I guess. Anyway, I just put a PayPal donation button on the bottom of my site and am hoping for the best. Any other experiences with donation buttons out there?
I have had a time when the donations would sum up to 200USD per month. That donation button was on tubedown.net which I sold a few years ago!

I'd consider having one, but I wouldn't want to make a huge deal about it unless it was possible to offer unique perks for donators. I'd feel a bit guilty otherwise!

I had donation buttons on several of my projects and they worked out fine, the project received some bonus money that kept it alive for a little longer until it was closed down :p

I've done donate buttons before. It works alright if you have a good stable community that's active. If your community is small and there's really not much to offer it comes off as pandering. I actually have had more success in offering premium usergroups rather a donation button. You probably wont get enough donations to break even on your server bills either way.

I wouldn't put a donate button up until the site had a good membership base, even then I would probably offer user group upgrades instead.

A long time back, I was member on another forum where the owner claimed to be getting around $300 a month from donations by his members. He made a huge deal about how none of the money went into his own pocket and how he always poured money back into the community. And, I have no idea what he was doing with the money, just know it was always active and updated. I wish I knew his secret for getting so many donations. All I know is that most of the people on the forum were his real life buddies so they were most likely supporting his little forum hobby with cash donations. For sure, it wasn't about the perks he was offering. So maybe this was more about friends helping friends out. So I guess forum donation buttons work.

I don't think I've ever had a donation before! The only time I've received any money is with a premium membership where the user gets something in return.

I don't think I've ever had a donation before! The only time I've received any money is with a premium membership where the user gets something in return.
I'm not the type of guy to count premium subscriptions as a donation either xD Members are paying something to get some goodies.

Perhaps if you had the option users would be more inclined to do so.

I've not had any success with donations yet. There was a time I had all the intentions of putting up a gaming server but had some copyright issues with some of the source files, and couldn't go through with the project. Similar projects were completely supported with donations, so it is possible. Just offer perks for donations.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds