Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Promoting your online community without social media

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
One thing I’ve found in the Online community world, especially with old school forum owners, there’s a lot of people don’t like to promote with social media.

I totally understand that. I use social media to promote things, but I understand why other people do not. So I wanted to write an article all about promoting your online community without using social media.

Enjoy!

https://www.shawngossman.com/promote-an-online-community-without-social-media/

Advertisement Placeholder
You hit on a lot of solid concepts with marketing that don't require social media. Many of those are vastly overlooked by users as many skip right over how popular items like blogs and newsletters are and that those are still growing against social media trends. However, I would say that a follow-up on automated social media can be a nice touch as being on social media isn't always needed.

However, I would say that a follow-up on automated social media can be a nice touch as being on social media isn't always needed.
You're definitely correct.

I do automated social media marketing and it generates thousands of views a day for me.

But I know many community folks don't social media. That might be the reason why they made a community and I wanted to make sure people know there are alternatives to social media.

There's almost a visceral reaction by some old school forum owners who dislike social media, which is so backwards. Social media is a tool, and regardless of your personal feelings of the morality / grand stupidity exhibited on social media at large, it's still a valuable tool for engagement.

There's almost a visceral reaction by some old school forum owners who dislike social media, which is so backwards. Social media is a tool, and regardless of your personal feelings of the morality / grand stupidity exhibited on social media at large, it's still a valuable tool for engagement.
I totally agree. Every cent I've made was initiated by something on social media for my hiking brand.

I mean it was YouTube and FB alone that got me locally noticed.

One note I always took for Social Media was that you and your brand are on social media, but it is up to you if you want to be in the driver seat of those topics or not.
True.

I have found that creating an additional community on social is the best way to get to work but it's a challenge running multiple communities.

I will say once you establish a community on social, it becomes easier to manage it.

Most of my social media content is automated and I have a pretty large community on most of them.

I do make time to manually engage though.

I try to make this my goal, but I always fall back on automation. I don't find much joy on most social media.
I've built my outdoor brand on social. I have a large community on FB, IG, and Twitter (and of course YouTube).

But I think it's different because my brand is so local. Most of my top fans have met me in person,

But I do get a lot of joy engaging with them on there. It's active, though, very active.

You can see my Facebook page, for example, at:

https://www.facebook.com/hikingwithshawn/
I automate daily posts and reply as I get time usually a few times an hour. But on weekends, I'm out getting content in the forest so I'm not as active.

I've built my outdoor brand on social. I have a large community on FB, IG, and Twitter (and of course YouTube).

But I think it's different because my brand is so local. Most of my top fans have met me in person,

But I do get a lot of joy engaging with them on there. It's active, though, very active.

You can see my Facebook page, for example, at:

https://www.facebook.com/hikingwithshawn/
I automate daily posts and reply as I get time usually a few times an hour. But on weekends, I'm out getting content in the forest so I'm not as active.
Looks like you got a nice little community on there for sure!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds