Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Online status timeout - What's yours set to?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have mine set to 10 minutes... really don't care to "act" like folks are online for longer than they are, and 10 minutes seemed a decent compromise.

Since activity on my site is so seasonal, sometimes I worry that if people don't see people online then they will think the site is not active and not sign up to post.

Of course it's new activity and threads that also make people sign up and post.

I also have the online members high up on the right sidebar in desktop as I want members to see that other members are on the site. Maybe it entices people to be more active?

I feel like if I change it to the default now it'll seem like there's been a huge drop in traffic to the site. (And ironically there has been right now as application season is pretty much wrapping up)

The problem is that it also misrepresents the activity of the site - because someone who looks online might not have been online for 59 minutes.

I find it interesting that the newer gen of platforms (Discourse etc.) simply do away with making this particularly obvious; there's no online marker shown in thread, I'm not even sure you *can* see who's online in a Discourse, it only wants to show me last post time on the little popup profile, and while you can get last online for an individual in their full profile, there's no convenient summary of who's online right now, and I suspect that's for the best.

On the one hand there is the 'oh no, people aren't online, the site is dead', but the other is... if you don't tell them, they can't jump to that conclusion. And instead will have to look at the content. Of course, if you're not producing regular new content (but constantly have people online) that's *also* not a good sign.

It's similar to how in the olden times we had 'Most people online was x on abc date' - if that date was in the recent past, it's fine, but if that date is a year or more ago, and it's way out compared to other stats (e.g. online right now 100, most online today 200, most online ever 5000 10 years ago), it's usually a sign that things are in decline. Better to not advertise that situation - but of course, this is why Discourse etc. *doesn't*.

It is a distraction from the content.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds