Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Off Topic Section on Your Forum

Advertisement Placeholder
Do you have an off-topic section on your forum? Well, I am running four forums and none of my forums have an off-topic section. The reason I don't have an off-topic section is when you allow members to post off-topic, there will be a lot of posts on off topic section and fewer posts on the on-topic section.
I think it's important to have an off topic section, since that is where a lot of community building goes.

If your forum is a niche that members would find it difficult to contribute freely, it's better to have an off topic section.

If it's a general discussion niche, there's no need for off topic section because it's going to be free to use.

What if your members post more on off-topic sections rather than on-topic?
It's just a preference of where members like to post or what they can relate to the most. As long as the primary forums are receiving some activity, I don't think an off-topic forum is necessarily a bad idea. In the end, members will generally post where they can most relate to.

Do you have an off-topic section on your forum? Well, I am running four forums and none of my forums have an off-topic section. The reason I don't have an off-topic section is when you allow members to post off-topic, there will be a lot of posts on off topic section and fewer posts on the on-topic section.
I think off-topic sections are actually quite advantageous. These sections help to build a culture of friendliness, and conversations can flow much more smoothly.

Allowing or creating a place for off topic or general topic on your forum is a nice idea, when one is contemplating about a specific post topic, he can just create the post in off topic section.

The forum I used to run before I closed it down in 2017 was a general discussion forum that had an area for almost all discussions so an off-topic area was never really needed. In the case of the forum, I co-own now though, with it being more pushed towards gaming and streaming we do have an area where anything that is away from streaming and gaming can be discussed and we call that The Lounge where people can discuss anything off topic in there. I think having an off-topic section on your forum can work really well to keep activity going not just for what your niche is but also for other discussion.

If you intend on your forum being a forum that people go to daily to post I would suggest an off topic area. People will post about the niche, but it is nice to have a break away from the topic and be able to discuss general things in our lives and kind of get to know eachother better. Yes - the off topic area may have more topics and posts, but that does not take away from the genre either.

I’ve always thought it was a good idea - people came for the content, stayed for the community, and needed somewhere to be that wasn’t the content comments.

You almost alwasys should have (even on a specific niche site) an off-topic area for your users to discuss (like most adults do IRL) items that are not niche specific.
In "sync" with my niche... mine is simply called Landing Pad

Screen Shot 2023-07-12 at 5.00.28 AM.png

Yeah, unless you want to create literally a million subforums, an off topic section is probably necessary. I mean you can decide you want your members to post in specific areas as much as you'd like, but the reality of a forum is it's a place for conversation. Conversation can't happen without context, and context is a pretty basic definition for a forum/subforum.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds