Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Not utilizing social media could be the downfall of your community

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
As much as some of you may hate social media, the hard truth is that it is probably the most effective way to convert traffic into community members.

Every niche is on social media. I'm sure even yours.

But social media is hard to use as a marketing tool when you're new. The trick is building an additional community on each platform.

My hiking stuff is a second income. I'm making money with it. My main source of traffic is social media. Without it, I wouldn't be earning an extra income.

Thoughts? Arguments?

Advertisement Placeholder
I fundamentally agree with you that social media should be part of your outreach and promotion.

What I struggle with, however, is taking my community content and repackaging it - using multi media and in an efficient manner - onto social media.

As much as some of you may hate social media, the hard truth is that it is probably the most effective way to convert traffic into community members.

Every niche is on social media. I'm sure even yours.

But social media is hard to use as a marketing tool when you're new. The trick is building an additional community on each platform.

My hiking stuff is a second income. I'm making money with it. My main source of traffic is social media. Without it, I wouldn't be earning an extra income.

Thoughts? Arguments?
makes sense but there’s the chance social media diverts traffic away from your forums.

and advertising a forum community on social media won’t work as social media is the thing these days while forums are seen as retro

It is always a good idea to build out your social media accounts and try to create them into their own communities. Then you can start to pull small percentages of the users to your sites.

Like any site, most users on social media are there to use the social media and don't join just to leave and join a different site. So simply blasting your followers with your links is normally a poor strategy.

While this may work for some, it does take a lot of work for minimal payoff. I had advertised a lot on Social Media but the main thing is people are either Team Forum or Team Social Media. I had people look at my forum & others & deem them too “busy”. They prefer one post to scroll through versus boards created.
They are in two totally different classes.
For those that this works for, Kudos, but I never had any success.

I fundamentally agree with you that social media should be part of your outreach and promotion.

What I struggle with, however, is taking my community content and repackaging it - using multi media and in an efficient manner - onto social media.
It's better if it's organic - meaning original content to the social platform.

But it's not easy.

And different platforms have different traits.

I post 4 times a day on FB and it's successful because of it. That includes a question post, photo gallery, video, and external link. I post 12 times a day on Twitter and that has been it's growth here lately.

It's better if it's organic - meaning original content to the social platform.

But it's not easy.

And different platforms have different traits.

I post 4 times a day on FB and it's successful because of it. That includes a question post, photo gallery, video, and external link. I post 12 times a day on Twitter and that has been it's growth here lately.
By successful you mean you managed to get forum members from social media? If so glad it worked for you 👍

How do you define success?

I was considering promoting my forum on social media. Not sure how effective that would be though

By successful you mean you managed to get forum members from social media? If so glad it worked for you 👍

How do you define success?

I was considering promoting my forum on social media. Not sure how effective that would be though
Yeah.

I think anyone can do it if they use social media more than just an advertising platform.

If you just post your forum link and that's it, it isn't going to work. The algorithms will work against you.

You have to build a following and start focusing on individuals that you think would make good members.

The problem with most forum owners these days is their unwillingness to work to get new members.

We used to get them with a simple promotion post or directory link but that's long gone. The internet is too competitive for that.

It takes work and most people use social. You can definitely get them over but you got to work for it.

Yeah.

I think anyone can do it if they use social media more than just an advertising platform.

If you just post your forum link and that's it, it isn't going to work. The algorithms will work against you.

You have to build a following and start focusing on individuals that you think would make good members.

The problem with most forum owners these days is their unwillingness to work to get new members.

We used to get them with a simple promotion post or directory link but that's long gone. The internet is too competitive for that.

It takes work and most people use social. You can definitely get them over but you got to work for it.

Also you have to fight for forum users who are on other forums. The newbies to forums are hard to come by. It's a hard sale for those who prefer social media communication.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds