Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Net Neutrality In The US

JewishPoptart89

Loyal member
Credits
I'm not sure why we haven't been talking about this. I think if anyone should be talking about it, it's us.

What are you thoughts on this? The vote is December 14th and to me, it doesn't seem good.

Have you made plans if Net Neutrality does go down?

Advertisement Placeholder
It is definitely not good at all. I have displayed this warning on my hosting site urging people to call to say NO.
Things will go south real quick soon as the ISPs get their hands on control of the internet.

It's looking like 3-1 win at the moment and this couldn't be worse for small site owners. I can't afford to pay for a fast lane.

That already happens. The higher quality the traffic the more your paying for it.

For example you don't mind congestion? Congent/Hurricane Electric/etc comes at about a buck per Mbps while bulk commits can you land you large allotments for as low as 50 cents per Mbps or even less.

You want the best of the best? Level3/nLayer/etc These carriers will charge you about 4 bucks per Mbps and if your lucky with a hefty contract you may be able to walk away with discounted at about 2-1.5 bucks per Mbps

How is this really going to change right?

That already happens. The higher quality the traffic the more your paying for it.

For example you don't mind congestion? Congent/Hurricane Electric/etc comes at about a buck per Mbps while bulk commits can you land you large allotments for as low as 50 cents per Mbps or even less.

You want the best of the best? Level3/nLayer/etc These carriers will charge you about 4 bucks per Mbps and if your lucky with a hefty contract you may be able to walk away with discounted at about 2-1.5 bucks per Mbps

How is this really going to change right?
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Could you explain a bit more? If I were to start a site right now, I wouldn't have to pay Comcast to get a fast speed.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Could you explain a bit more? If I were to start a site right now, I wouldn't have to pay Comcast to get a fast speed.

The internet is fed by various carriers like the guys I mentioned. Basically the less "jitter" you want and the less latency you want the more your paying for said network. Since those networks are bonded with the carriers that charge a lot. For example Level3 is considerably better than say Congent.

Carriers that charge more also typically have less congestion (more consistency in performance). Given that they can use the extra funding to commit more of their equipment to you. Rather than over selling them to turn a profit or at least not as much.

Finally of course it's the speed itself (10Mbps is less than 25Mbps and so on) as well as features you may get. For example some high end carriers even filter DDoS attacks on route so you decrease the amount of filtering at the other end and etc.

The internet is fed by various carriers like the guys I mentioned. Basically the less "jitter" you want and the less latency you want the more your paying for said network. Since those networks are bonded with the carriers that charge a lot. For example Level3 is considerably better than say Congent.

Carriers that charge more also typically have less congestion (more consistency in performance). Given that they can use the extra funding to commit more of their equipment to you. Rather than over selling them to turn a profit or at least not as much.

Finally of course it's the speed itself (10Mbps is less than 25Mbps and so on) as well as features you may get. For example some high end carriers even filter DDoS attacks on route so you decrease the amount of filtering at the other end and etc.
Do you mean like hosts?

Do you mean like hosts?

Actually no it down the line. Hosts are closer than you but from there there are data centers and those are the guys that hook up the carriers that I am talking about or some other brands that offer such.

Although some hosts are indeed data center operated (like OVH for example) but many hosts either sit on top of one or even go to value added reseller (VAR) who add even more value and/or etc to said services. Sometimes there is another layer of such entity involved as well (like a VAR offering reseller hosting and/or VPSes for such).

Actually no it down the line. Hosts are closer than you but from there there are data centers and those are the guys that hook up the carriers that I am talking about or some other brands that offer such.

Although some hosts are indeed data center operated (like OVH for example) but many hosts either sit on top of one or even go to value added reseller (VAR) who add even more value and/or etc to said services. Sometimes there is another layer of such entity involved as well (like a VAR offering reseller hosting and/or VPSes for such).
ohhhhh gotcha! That cleared up everything.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds