Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Multiple accounts

Website
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
Credits
Do you allow multiple accounts on your forum? Why or why not? I don’t encourage it. Some platforms allow Admin to merge accounts. I wish Proboards had that option as I have a few members who forgot their login information & had to create another account. I honestly don’t like inflating my member numbers artificially.

What are your feelings towards this? Do you yourself allow it on your forum?

Advertisement Placeholder
I get it for a roleplay purpose, and I've seen integrations to log in to different accounts which was cool. On other types of forums I would definitely not allow multiple accounts. I've had users do it on accident because they forgot their log in and that's okay - when possible I merged the accounts together or banned whichever account the user did not plan on logging back into. I would offer to change the password as well if they'd like to log back into it.

The only time I've seen a user purposely have multiple accounts it was simply to troll.

If I am aware that two accounts with the same details and such are of two different people in the same household then I do not mind it but when it comes to something such as a new account created to evade a ban or having multiple accounts to cause trouble, I do not allow that and they will be banned.

If I am aware that two accounts with the same details and such are of two different people in the same household then I do not mind it but when it comes to something such as a new account created to evade a ban or having multiple accounts to cause trouble, I do not allow that and they will be banned.
Do you allow multiple accounts in general as long as they don't cause any trouble or circumvent bans?
Or would they be merged/deleted in such cases?

Do you allow multiple accounts in general as long as they don't cause any trouble or circumvent bans?
Or would they be merged/deleted in such cases?
This would be fine, yes as long as I was aware that they were two different people. I could never understand why one person would need two accounts on a forum as they would be replying to the same thing twice. Not sure what they would get out of it having two accounts.

Two accounts for two separate people in a household or even when it comes to mobile data and such, sometimes that can be picked up as the same IP but two different people, that would also be fine as long as I knew that they were to separate people.

I have always found that anyone who needs two accounts is definitely up to something.

This would be fine, yes as long as I was aware that they were two different people.
Sorry my question is if you know both accounts belong to the same person, but they have not caused any trouble yet AND they are not restricted in any way on their main account. Would you immediately ban them or first ask which account they'd like to keep?

What if someone contacted you stating they wish to post a question anonymously? Or want a separate account for home and work? Would you allow such in that case?

Sorry my question is if you know both accounts belong to the same person, but they have not caused any trouble yet AND they are not restricted in any way on their main account. Would you immediately ban them or first ask which account they'd like to keep?

What if someone contacted you stating they wish to post a question anonymously? Or want a separate account for home and work? Would you allow such in that case?
I would consider it for sure as long as I knew that the account was being used for the right purpose and not to cause any issues and what not. It's not something I see too often though so not sure if it would be a situation I would end up in but there is always the case.

I would consider it for sure as long as I knew that the account was being used for the right purpose and not to cause any issues and what not. It's not something I see too often though so not sure if it would be a situation I would end up in but there is always the case.
Asking career-related questions or discussing mental health.
Speaking of which, perhaps a great feature to have on any forum is anonymous posting where only the staff can see the poster's username. What are your thoughts on this?

Speaking of which, perhaps a great feature to have on any forum is anonymous posting where only the staff can see the poster's username. What are your thoughts on this?
This used to be a feature through an addon if I remember rightly but not sure if it still is as I have not checked myself.

Something like this I remember many used to use to have anonymous forums where people could be anonymous and post things without others knowing who they are. I guess if it is used right and the staff are able to see the member who is making the posts anonymously, it could be a good addition to a forum.

Generally no, but if someone returns after a fair while away, they usually have a different e-mail address to years earlier so I usually combine their post counts and delete their original account.

Generally no, but if someone returns after a fair while away, they usually have a different e-mail address to years earlier so I usually combine their post counts and delete their original account.
There's no but to that. You simply don't allow it, end of story :p
I think your but should be replaced with an and

I think it depends on the niche of the forum. If it's a roleplaying forum, some people might want to roleplay as multiple different characters and thus have to have multiple accounts in order to do so. If it's any other type of forum, then I don't think people should have multiple accounts other than perhaps the site admin to test things out.

@Ravenfreak I am very curious :D

Talk to yourself.Easy 🤣
Major League Baseball Sport GIF by Oakland Athletics

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds