Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Microsoft wants to force Windows 10 users to use Edge on mail links

ChrisG2010

Reputable member
Credits
How do you feel about this? I don't agree that Microsoft should be able to "force" their product on their end users. I feel it should ultimately be up to the user's choice.

Microsoft is testing a new change to its future version of Windows 10 which will probably annoy anyone using the operating system. The software giant revealed today that “we will begin testing a change where links clicked on within the Windows Mail app will open in Microsoft Edge.” The change means if you have Chrome or Firefox set as your default browser in Windows 10, Microsoft will simply ignore that and force you into Edge when you click a link within the Mail app.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/16/17130566/microsoft-windows-10-mail-edge-default-links

Advertisement Placeholder
I've personally never utilized the Windows Mail app anyways, but I'm sure this would be an annoying feature. I can understand it being a default setting, but it's something that users should be able to simply change. Microsoft shouldn't force their OS users to use their shitty web browser.

If they did this with outlook, I'd freak out, though. lol

I am not surprised if they did. As this reminds the stupid days of having to use a backup Gmail account to get hold of my ex partner to ask about switching because...

It was first inaccessible "thanks" to their stupid shift in theme. So I asked on there to her on how to "swap" it from there. When I got the suggestion of Thunderbird...

I attached it to that and soon after it was claiming that I was sending an excess of 300 emails per day. Asking me to log in again and again. Then she said I would better off migrating to Gmail. Which I did and thus only ran into a single logging in issue.

But because 2FA is on this new one I got my feature phone to back it up in case I cannot log into it for some weird reason.

If they did this with outlook, I'd freak out, though. lol

I highly doubt they will. Windows Mail is built into Windows 10 - and it is free. Outlook you have to pay a lot for, since it is packaged with other products. They absolutely have the right to integrate this within Mail for Win 10, but not Outlook.

I highly doubt they will. Windows Mail is built into Windows 10 - and it is free. Outlook you have to pay a lot for, since it is packaged with other products. They absolutely have the right to integrate this within Mail for Win 10, but not Outlook.

Really? It shipped with my free email address when I had it created for my Facebook when it was the "place to game on" (unlike now...).

Really? It shipped with my free email address when I had it created for my Facebook when it was the "place to game on" (unlike now...).

The online version of Outlook is completely free. If you want to have the desktop version you have to either pay monthly, yearly, or a one-time fee. The monthly/yearly payments are Office 365.

It would be quite hard for them to make the online outlook transfer links to Edge. And even if they did that they would lose a lot of their clientele. It would be a very annoying feature.

Honestly beside what I said I just find Hotmail to be I don't know... Little too "hot" if you get my drift...

I use "inbox" app on my phone that is provided by Google and I also use "inbox.google.com", so I get to skip all this anyways. xD

Microsoft is really desperate because no one use Edge.
If they will do it then people will also stop using Windows Mail.

Didnt they make Windows 10 S in that you can only install Microsoft-store apps too? I really hope that goes the way of Windows RT because I do not want to see that be the norm either.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds