Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Members who do not add avatars?

Dreadlord

Credits
What do you think about members who do not add avatars, personally I hate it and I think it can make a forum look a bit scruffy when you've got members who do not care about whether or not they have an avatar. That's why I usually install a default avatar plugin which would give them an avatar on registration so the forum looks a bit better than there being no avatar on display.

Advertisement Placeholder
Those are the kind of members that usually dont hang around the forum a lot :) They are more passing through it.

Avatars really add to the forum experience, it's much easier to remember users and responses when they have one, but it's a personal choice and if they don't want one then that's OK (just not as easily memorable).

Well it can depend upon the sort of forum it is, at some it never occurs to see the avatar, but in general forums, its probably a good thing to have one.

In as much as I do love members to use avatars, if they don't I still don't have a problem with them not using. It's their space, they decide what they get to do with it. If they feel like having an avatar they'd put one up and otherwise as well.

Sometimes, it's not like they don't want to put up an avatar, it might be that they don't have any to use. And sometimes they still don't know how to use the forum software properly.

Although, from my experience if someone joins your forum and uses an avatar immediately, it's either they are experienced users of forums who just like to have a complete profile or they are spammers.

I believe that an avatar is your online identity.

I remember myself when a friend of mine gave me for the first time the opportunity to become his forum administrator. There was a guy who actively posted day after day, really good posts and really informative and wise. He used to wear a Don Corleone avatar, so my mind used to think of him as an aged person, and the wisdom in his posts seemed to confirm this belief.

When the forum was shut down, my friend decided to run a farewell topic in which members were invited to post a real photo so we could now who was behind the most popular and cherished members.

Don Corleone was barely a 14-15 years guy and, believe me, I cried when I saw him because of the mixed emotions that caused me confront his real identity with his online identity.

Avatars does not only make your forum look nice, but shows a bit the love an caring that members have for the community they belong to, and provide other members with a unique experience that identify them.

Personally I'm not really bothered if members don't want to put up an avatar; at the end of the day it is their own choice and there is nothing I can do to change that.

In some cases avatars could look a bit worse than having no avatar, depending on what the member is using anyways. :p

Good point. :p I'd much rather have someone have no avatar than an unsuitable one.

Yeah i'm not bothered about it either for reasons stated above and the fact that I don't need members to put in avatars to make my forum look good :D

I don't like not having avatars, but that's down to the user really. As long as they don't cause a nuisance and contribute to the community, you can happily stay around with no avatar!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds