Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Join a gig site or make your own site for your work?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
If you are a freelance worker or are self employed and do gig work, would you rather join a gig site or make your own site to promote your work? Gig sites will probably help you get more views on your service and maybe more hits, but you also lose a cut of your earnings to the gig site itself. If you have a website your own, you only have to pay the site fees and any money made, all goes to you. Which do you prefer?

Advertisement Placeholder
You cannot make money from your own site immediately. It might take months, even years, to make a decent amount of money. However, when you join gig sites, you can start making money immediately. The best approach is to join gig sites, and as you wait for someone to hire you, you can continue working on your own site.

I will join a gig website first because I will have more chances of making money faster than creating my own website and making money from it. If you have a good service on gig website with the right price, you may be hired quickly and be paid.

I am a freelancer worker myself and in the past, I have used gig sites but I have noticed, that I do not seem to get as much interest or custom as I used to. This has instead pushed me to create my own site and also offer my services on places such as forums as well where most of my custom comes from.

I do need to look into creating a more professional website though but that is something that is in the works :)

At the moment, I cannot afford not making use of gig websites. I have been very successful with making use of Seoclerks and Upwork more than I did with Fiverr. I have earned thousands of dollars selling my gigs on Seoclerks and Upwork.

It will very difficult for you to create your website and be selling your service on it. It's not impossible to do but it takes time and money for you to get it done.

At the moment, I cannot afford not making use of gig websites. I have been very successful with making use of Seoclerks and Upwork more than I did with Fiverr. I have earned thousands of dollars selling my gigs on Seoclerks and Upwork.

It will very difficult for you to create your website and be selling your service on it. It's not impossible to do but it takes time and money for you to get it done.

I am also planning to create a an account with gig websites. However, the main issue is the fact that they are one of the most competitive websites out there. It is quite hard to get an order and many experienced gig makers and sellers are the ones who are earning a good amount of money in there.

I am also planning to create a an account with gig websites. However, the main issue is the fact that they are one of the most competitive websites out there. It is quite hard to get an order and many experienced gig makers and sellers are the ones who are earning a good amount of money in there.

Well, the best gig websites that you can start with if you haven't joined any of them already would be Upwork, Seoclerks, Freelancer and Fiverr. I believe that you already know how competitive those websites are when it comes to getting jobs on them. You need to be very good in what you're offering to get better chance of being hired.

I am a freelancer worker myself and in the past, I have used gig sites but I have noticed, that I do not seem to get as much interest or custom as I used to. This has instead pushed me to create my own site and also offer my services on places such as forums as well where most of my custom comes from.

I do need to look into creating a more professional website though but that is something that is in the works :)
I've listed my services on forums too but mostly on promotion forums. They are the best for selling services in the marketplace. I've sold more services on promotion forums marketplace than I did on Fiverr. I've thought of closing my account on Fiverr but decided to leave it. There's no harm in having it on the site.

You cannot make money from your own site immediately. It might take months, even years, to make a decent amount of money. However, when you join gig sites, you can start making money immediately. The best approach is to join gig sites, and as you wait for someone to hire you, you can continue working on your own site.

A lot of people have even failed in their project of starting their own website. This is why when you haven't planned out well on how to start your own website project, it's going to be in your own best interest to make use of the services of other gigs websites to sell your services and make money. The only thing that you pay is the website's commission when you sell your service.

It took me almost 2 years to earn from my first self hosted blog, however, in the mean time was earning my livelihood by working on various sites. I have a lot of ideas on new projects but I am not trying them right now because it would mean to give up some of my current jobs. This could be risky as my new projects will take time to be established.

From my observation and experience, I was able to find out that the more you branch out on several other projects, you are definitely going to be exposing yourself to other channels where you can learn how to even work better on your own project whenever you are ready to do so. It is the reason why people are always encouraged to be more diversified when it comes to working.

Well, the best gig websites that you can start with if you haven't joined any of them already would be Upwork, Seoclerks, Freelancer and Fiverr. I believe that you already know how competitive those websites are when it comes to getting jobs on them. You need to be very good in what you're offering to get better chance of being hired.

Well, they are quite competitive. There are many other websites as well that could be very lucrative for many different freelancers. A freelancer could easily earn around $5 to $10 or even more quite easily if they manage to get a project for themselves. One such kind of website is TopTal.

Well yes and no. You could make money right away on a gig site, but that depends on a few factors. Just putting up a job on a gig site doesn't guarantee you'll get an order right away. Many people who start on gig sites, don't get their first sale sometimes for days, weeks, even months. You have to still do what you'd have to do if you ran your site, like; Paying for ads, marketing on social media, etc.

Gig sites just provide you with a venue to post your services, but the majority of them don't promote your services. They might put your new gig on their front page for the day, but as soon as more gigs are posted, your gigs will likely be pushed back further and further.

It still comes down to you to promote your gig, otherwise you might not receive any sales.

I'd argue gig sites are worse because you don't get all of the money, you have to sometimes wait weeks to receive your money after it clears. While working on your own site would just mean paying for hosting and advertising, and you'd get the full commission and won't have to share a cut with a site.

Well, they are quite competitive. There are many other websites as well that could be very lucrative for many different freelancers. A freelancer could easily earn around $5 to $10 or even more quite easily if they manage to get a project for themselves. One such kind of website is TopTal.

The most important thing is for you to have a very good service that you are offering an those freelancing website because that is the only way you can be considered by clients that are looking for those services. Also you should make sure that your pricing is very good.

Well yes and no. You could make money right away on a gig site, but that depends on a few factors.
It is true that no one is waiting for you to hire on gig sites. Therefore, it is not easy to make money. However, even when you create your own projects, a blog, or a youtube channel, for instance, you would have to work for many months just to receive decent traffic. It took me almost two years in order to receive the first payment from my blog. However, combining both, gig site and your own site, can be the best approach.

When it comes to working on your own project as a means that you want to be making money from online, you would definitely have to be very patient with your project because there is no way you can force it to start generating money for you immediately.

It is those who don't have that patient to see their project become profitable along the line that ends up closing up along the way, thereby sacrificing their time and resources for nothing.

The most important thing is for you to have a very good service that you are offering an those freelancing website because that is the only way you can be considered by clients that are looking for those services. Also you should make sure that your pricing is very good.

As far as I know, Toptal is also one of the oldest websites. However, I think that it is not as popular as Fiverr and other freelancing websites such as Upwork that have managed to gain a great reputation in the online industry. Regardless of that, it is quite old and it was created in the year 2010.

If you are a freelance worker or are self employed and do gig work, would you rather join a gig site or make your own site to promote your work? Gig sites will probably help you get more views on your service and maybe more hits, but you also lose a cut of your earnings to the gig site itself. If you have a website your own, you only have to pay the site fees and any money made, all goes to you. Which do you prefer?
Neither, I like to work on sites that are already well-established and only have one job, like a pay-per-post forum, or photo uploading sites, transcription sites, where they give you the audio files to type out. The pricing and all the guesswork is already taken care of and all you have to do is the work.

Neither, I like to work on sites that are already well-established and only have one job, like a pay-per-post forum, or photo uploading sites, transcription sites, where they give you the audio files to type out. The pricing and all the guesswork is already taken care of and all you have to do is the work.
The amount of time it's going to take for you to start your own gig website and see through the process of making it become profitable is uncertain. It might take years and not make money for you. It's why for a guaranteed progress, it's better to stick working with a well-established freelancer gig website.

As far as I know, Toptal is also one of the oldest websites. However, I think that it is not as popular as Fiverr and other freelancing websites such as Upwork that have managed to gain a great reputation in the online industry. Regardless of that, it is quite old and it was created in the year 2010.

I have never even heard about Toptal till today that you just mentioned it. I guess it have been very good for those who are making use of it. Maybe the reason why I never knew about it was because it's not that popular like Fiverr and Upwork like you stated or even like Seoclerks.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds