Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

jcink font is too small

Advertisement Placeholder
12px was the default 20 years ago when IPB 1.3 came out, but also especially in the roleplay world tiny fonts is still - sadly - trendy.

It was all the rage in 2003 when screens were much smaller - 1024x768 was still pretty common, 1280x1024 was fairly common too - we hadn't gone widescreen at that point.

I have started to set my font on themes bigger to 16. We have a few members on ours who need the bigger font due to eye issues.

There's actually not a lot of reason to dip below 16px (aka 1rem) for body text these days; with devices with ever-higher DPI counts and ever higher density of pixels, they tend to need to be scaled to be properly visible.

It's estimated that a third of adults in America and Europe have some visual impairment, and bigger text inevitably helps.

It also doesn't help that, by default, any style changes you add via the backend just get shoved in the page headers, causing you to load the entire CSS every single page which hurts some of the Core Web Vitals scores.

But my experience is that a significant proportion of the denizens of Jcink don't care, nor do they need to care because search engines are not their primary source of traffic.

Noticed this on lots of jcink forums. The font is extremely tiny.

Of course I know I can fix that in my browser zoom settings, but I wonder why the tiny font is the default?
Seriously, it's always very difficult for me to deal with such forums with small font. I don't read a lot of books including novels because of their small fonts. Trying to read anything in small fonts hurt my eyes very bad.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds