Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Is religion a postive force ?

Website
agoraforo.com
Credits
Has religion been a positive force for good in the world? In itself, not the people it cultures.

Advertisement Placeholder
I believe that people having spiritual meaning and closure for the existential questions - whether that's through a belief structure in a deity or pantheon, or something else - is important.

But the culture of organised religious structures around that...? That's... less helpful.

Disclosure: I am an atheist.

I’ll try to keep this as constructive as possible. I’m not gonna list any evidence here as you can do your own research.

Historically religion has been used as a way to control people. Empires, kings, monarchs. It’s even caused wars as someone else has said.

I don’t see it as an overall positive force. I am against organized religious groups like mega churches, clergy, etc. There is too much abuse of power.

However, I will say religion does have its place. My dad always said, if you want to see what Christianity (or really any religion) is all about, go to your local church.

There are good people who use religion as a source of comfort, help people get through hard times, and volunteer to make their community a better place.

No. If you need the threat of a higher power to be a decent person you're probably not. You also don't need it to learn how to act appropriately. I'm also not a fan of how some people will try to impose their beliefs on others by citing religion and God as if those somehow make your view more valid when it really doesn't.

The biggest issue with it though is when people use it to obtain power for the sole purpose of being abusive with that power. Unfortunately that isn't exclusive to religion; if something offers a position of power over other people, it will attract bad actors every single time, and those people make themselves known far more than the good people who don't abuse their positions of power so it just paints an overall negative picture.

Disclosure: I am an atheist.

I’ll try to keep this as constructive as possible. I’m not gonna list any evidence here as you can do your own research.

Historically religion has been used as a way to control people. Empires, kings, monarchs. It’s even caused wars as someone else has said.

I don’t see it as an overall positive force. I am against organized religious groups like mega churches, clergy, etc. There is too much abuse of power.

However, I will say religion does have its place. My dad always said, if you want to see what Christianity (or really any religion) is all about, go to your local church.

There are good people who use religion as a source of comfort, help people get through hard times, and volunteer to make their community a better place.
I'm not an atheist, but I completely agree with you on everything you said about how religion have been used for decades. It's still used in that way now but it's done indirectly.

I would say that religion now is just trying to fix some of horrors it caused aged ago. I watched a documentary on how the church and illuminati was connected before they separated because of their clash of interests. I'm not sure if that's 100% true or not.

Belief systems have killed millions, not necessarily religion. Hitler, Stalin etc have had their share. Anyway, religion can be a positive force but often it is forced on people. For instance, Protestantism was unsuccessfully forced on the Irish. Anyway, I get queezy when people want to combine church and state.

As a Christian, it's really not the actual religion that's a problem, it's the sinful people who are the problems.
I definitely agree and I'm not cutting down a lot of well meaning church members. However, some Christians have tried to force on others stuff. In that case, some anti-religious feeling is the result.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds