Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General In depth research before opening forum

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

The Raven

Reputable member
You got hyped, you want to run a forum, you saw how others are becoming successful and then you rush to open your own. This is a common mistake I have done many, many times and probably, for those who know me, I am pretty much known for this.

The thing is, before you even run a forum, you must take few things in consideration.

1. Do you have paid software
2. Do you have your own domain
3. What niche the forum is

Now, if you don't have paid software, and you don't have your own domain, it all boils down to the niche in which your forum should settle in. Let's say most of forums today are general discussion forums and they have first two from the list, it is unwise to make another forum like that. What is it that you can offer? Competition is big.

How to chose niche? Well, ask yourself what you know. Do a research on are there forums of similar niche or same. If not, you got it right.

Thoughts?

I’m no expert but I’d at least give it a Google search ;P

But before BaysideGamers was open it was an idea from a year ago, well almost a year and then I saved and built it once November came ;) I would say that you learn and build as time goes on. Started with free software before going on paid :)

The thing about it is that you learn most of thieve things with experience. So if you don’t start there is little you’ll know. However I will say the three requirements you mentioned are very important to understand and have first.

In truth... almost every topic has already been covered by a competing site. What exactly do you bring to the table to differentiate yourself from those others?
Or are you a site like mine that is ran for my (as the owner) benefit, and if others get use from it, great?

Paid software isn't a big deal. In fact, I think it's free to use tools to move to paid software, if you feel that's what you want. Who knows anything about this?

1. Yes - mainly due to my familiarity with the platforms I use. They were paid for with previous projects so I just renewed the support to be able to get the latest edition. I use Xenforo and also have a IPB that I have on an unmaintained site.

2. Yes, I think having your own domain is essential for brand establishment and affordable.

3. I choose niches (and in my case this is very niche) based on things I am interested in and knowledeable in. It makes it much easier to provide content.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Unread Posts

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 20 80.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations