Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management If you stayed away for 1 year, do you think your community will hold up?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.
Credits
The reason why a community owners have staffs is for them to help him or her run things to ensure the forum is functioning perfectly. With the kind of system you're working with your forum staff, do you think that should something make you stay away from your forum for 1 year, would your staff be able to hold things together until you're back

Advertisement Placeholder
If I had managed to build up a great team that was passionate about the community and wanted to see the community thrive and do well, I feel that I could leave the forum for a year and allow my team to manage it until I came back or was ready to come back.

There isn't much that would keep me away from a community I own and lead but things such as personal issues and even family losses could be what keep me away for an extended period.

If I have a great team I think the forum could continue to thrive, however if you're away from your community from a year that could ruin your site's reputation. That is, unless you have a valid reason such as taking a break from the internet for real life issues of course.
I also think the niche and nature of your forum plays a major factor if you can stay away from it for one year even if you have a great to ensure if it's going to survive or not. Take for instance, I'm not sure if any paid to post site can survive without the owner why actually pays the members if if stayed away for one year easily.

Considering I'm the only staff member on my board, I think my board would probably be ripped to pieces when I came back to it after a year. This means a lot of spam, trolling, flaming, or just pure nothingness. I have a resource board, so I keep the board together by trying to release consistent resources, offer support/fulfill requests to those in need, and remain an active supporter of the forum.

Considering I'm the only staff member on my board, I think my board would probably be ripped to pieces when I came back to it after a year. This means a lot of spam, trolling, flaming, or just pure nothingness. I have a resource board, so I keep the board together by trying to release consistent resources, offer support/fulfill requests to those in need, and remain an active supporter of the forum.
Its interesting that you think your board would fall to pieces in the manner that you described. You used some strong words!

Do you actually think it would be that bad? Or do you think most users are well behaved?

Its interesting that you think your board would fall to pieces in the manner that you described. You used some strong words!

Do you actually think it would be that bad? Or do you think most users are well behaved?
I'm not necessarily worried about my current user base, but users who come in after my departure realize there are no active staff members on the board to try and terrorize it and post endless spam advertisements.

The reason why a community owners have staffs is for them to help him or her run things to ensure the forum is functioning perfectly. With the kind of system you're working with your forum staff, do you think that should something make you stay away from your forum for 1 year, would your staff be able to hold things together until you're back
To answer this question in context of Admin Junkies, I consider us to still be in the developmental phase. I don't have all of my systems down, and even though I have some tasks on a monthly cadence, it does require I check in and plan items every month for the new month (such as ideas for new articles) to keep it going.

Personal experience. I had my forum die because I lost the ability to keep up on it. It died a quick death within two months, filled with spam bots.

My current forum would just vanish, since I'm like the only person who regularly visits it. :(

I am a staff on a forum where the admin is not active these days, yet the forum is running smoothly. However, I do not have staff on my forum at the moment. Whether your forum can run without you or not depends on what kind of staff you have. It also depends on whether they are free or paid. You cannot expect too much when you don't offer any incentives.

Personal experience. I had my forum die because I lost the ability to keep up on it. It died a quick death within two months, filled with spam bots.

My current forum would just vanish, since I'm like the only person who regularly visits it. :(
Sorry to hear about that happening to your forum. It's why having a kind of structure for your forum to work it incase you're not around for a while. But it will be difficult when you're the only one who visits you're community. Have you tried advertising it?

Sorry to hear about that happening to your forum. It's why having a kind of structure for your forum to work it incase you're not around for a while. But it will be difficult when you're the only one who visits you're community. Have you tried advertising it?
Yes. I've tried a few sites over the past couple of years. I'll get a member join up here or there, then never hear from them again. It's really frustrating. I never thought it would be so difficult to find like-minded people in the entire world! I blame Facebook. LOL

Yes. I've tried a few sites over the past couple of years. I'll get a member join up here or there, then never hear from them again. It's really frustrating. I never thought it would be so difficult to find like-minded people in the entire world! I blame Facebook. LOL
Facebook and other social media sites can make or mar forums. Your forum niche goes a long way in determining if those coming to it will stay or not. Have you tried advertising on other social media sites?

It would depend on how mature my community was and the kind of team I had behind me as to whether I felt that my community would hold up should I need to walk away for a while.

Having methods in place such as scheduling content would help to ensure my community thrived if I had to walk away for a while.

It would depend on how mature my community was and the kind of team I had behind me as to whether I felt that my community would hold up should I need to walk away for a while.

Having methods in place such as scheduling content would help to ensure my community thrived if I had to walk away for a while.
It all hangs on the kind of team you're leaving everything in charge of while you're away. If they are not capable and reliable, everything will crumble in a short period of time. Even with having features that allows for scheduling content on the site, it's not going to be enough.

My original gaming cave forum I broke my laptop and went mia for a while the mod team keep it going with some decent activity until my domain expired and I was unable to renew it. Maybe half a year or so
Not being able to renew your domain after it have expired is always going to be like a nail in the coffin for every forum. I'm guessing it's how that your forum end up in the mud. I think I've seen that forum gaming cave before when it was up and running.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds