Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

If the internet is out and you can't work... ?

Advertisement Placeholder
If I have no internet, I’d go for a drive with my motorcycle or spend additional time with the kids.

As someone who did follow that route through life, it doesn't pay as well.
Depends on where you go and where you live... here in the US..... it can pay very decently.

Depends on where you go and where you live... here in the US..... it can pay very decently.
Depends on industry. I did look at moving to the US a decade - even with a $120k job offer on the table to do it (in 2012, for Louisville KY, I might add, not Silly Valley or NYC prices!), but I actually worked out that at the time I'd make more money after taxes by staying where I was in the UK. Headline salary figure isn't everything.

I could probably earn a little more than I currently do if I went down the .NET route but 1) I don't like .NET that much and 2) I don't really want the baggage that comes with the roles currently being advertised... like yes, I could earn 30% more but I'd be working 40% more hours to do it and have to factor in a multi-hour commute, and I've done that in my life already, I know what that looks like to do.

Alternatively I could up my salary if I went into certain industries - gambling's always profitable and I have skill sets that don't come along often in performance management (where it matters in their world). Or I could go work in the oil and gas industry, I'd just have to deal with coping knowing that bugs in my software could get people killed.

But I guarantee the software life does not pay as well as the cushy retirement income you have because no-one in public sector IT is getting those kinds of figures. Doesn't matter where you are in the US for that one.

But I guarantee the software life does not pay as well as the cushy retirement income you have because no-one in public sector IT is getting those kinds of figures. Doesn't matter where you are in the US for that one.
All fo that "cushy IT retirement" was not based upon IT though... over 1/2 of it was based upon wearing a badge and gun and the physical injuries that went along with it.
That's why I said government work also.. you don't get into it for the base pay... you DID get into it for the decent retirement packages available.... but even now that is not so great.
Another reason I enjoy Texas... no state income tax. Most state support comes from consumption related taxes.

but even now that is not so great.
It's almost like your generation had it good - and those of us in the next generation down don't, like I keep telling you...

It's almost like your generation had it good - and those of us in the next generation down don't, like I keep telling you...
There are still government jobs out there that have decent retirement. Part of the problem is the "consumption expectation" of the younger generation. Many of them cannot cook, relying on going out to eat... and that's more expensive than eating at home... but it's "normal part of our life" and simply cannot recognize the extra cost that their "convenience" adds to their budget. And don't try to give me the "we come in and are tired and don't have time to cook" argument... as long as I can remember, there's been 24 hours in a day..... and when you work 12 hours a day it only leaves you 12 to sleep, cook/eat and do entertainment... but we of the older generations seemed to be able to do it, and raise families.
The "older generations" put up with a lot more hardships than what the younger want to deal with today... and I blame the older generation for that as we tended to give our kids WAY to much to try to compensate for what we had to grow up dealing with, not wanting them to suffer that.

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds