Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

I made a mistake

JewishPoptart89

Loyal member
Credits
After installing BBPress and BuddyPress to my forum, I realized something needed to change. The look and the functionality of the forum were just not there, something needed to go. It wasn't a change of owners, and it wasn't a change of hosts. It was a change of forum software.

Yes, that's right. I made a switch in forum software. The most annoying thing to do. I have to retype all the forums and add the topics again! By the way, I switched to phpBB.

The mistake wasn't the retyped of everything. It was moving to phpBB.

What I didn't realize before I had already purchases a phpbb theme, extensions aren't very supportive, and there's less support everyday. Which I mean, I don't need teh support I learned everything, I just would like it to not come to an end. :p

What was your biggest mistake?

Advertisement Placeholder
I'm staff on a million post forum that runs phpBB, and the mistake was moving to phpBB 3.1 way too early. 3.0 is okay, but 3.1 has no MODs that are useful that our devs didn't make.

I'd recommend downgrading to 3.0. Really the only thing phpBB 3.1 has that 3.0 doesn't is notifications. 3.1 is good if you're okay with the total lack of plug-ins, but 3.0 has a ton of plug-ins. I'd definitely look into exactly what worked for me before I fully established my forum though

I think with all the features already built in, I don't need the extra add-ons. I mean, for the side bars and such I can just code it into the theme, same with extra pages and the header :p I'll wait for everything to catch up to 3.1!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds