Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How do you feel about website mining?

ChrisG2010

Reputable member
Credits
A new trend is starting to pop up around the web. Websites are starting to implement javascript into their website coding (usually the header, so it displays constantly) that will mine Monero cryptocurrency for the website owner, while you browse. How do you feel about a website that would use this instead of serving you ads?

Just recently UFC Fight Pass and Steem were caught using this method on their paid service.
https://steemkr.com/cryptocurrency/...y-mining-cryptocurrency-on-their-paid-service

Advertisement Placeholder
Honestly, I have never heard of website mining till now. As I have read what it really is, looks like it's nothing much. The earnings are quite less and 10$ isn't worth much, when compared to electricity costs and such.

So, I wouldn't recommend coin mining on a website, as it isn't profitable at all. If a website would like to do that, then it should announce to it's users beforehand, so that it can avoid any misunderstandings in the future.
As for me, I wouldn't want to go for it.

Honestly, I have never heard of website mining till now. As I have read what it really is, looks like it's nothing much. The earnings are quite less and 10$ isn't worth much, when compared to electricity costs and such.

So, I wouldn't recommend coin mining on a website, as it isn't profitable at all. If a website would like to do that, then it should announce to it's users beforehand, so that it can avoid any misunderstandings in the future.
As for me, I wouldn't want to go for it.
How do you feel about other website owners doing so? Would you mind them having the code on their website of them using a small percentage of your processing power for their gain?

How do you feel about other website owners doing so? Would you mind them having the code on their website of them using a small percentage of your processing power for their gain?
Well, that's a good question. I could say that I don't mind freely.
As a webmaster, I know how hard it is to keep the site alive, when you don't receive any donations. Popular communities are one thing, but small communities, don't get much from google adsense or from any other ads either.

So, if it helps the webmaster, to earn something, by giving some of my computation power, then I don't mind. If you have asked me the same thing three years back, my answer would have been the opposite. One should experience something, to know what it's really like. So, honestly, I don't mind when the websites uses such things.

That's a interesting thing, I feel like some improvements could exists though.

For example like how some sites says they are using cookies, they could for example says that they will mine your PC to keep their sites online.

As well as allowing users to optimally allow them to use "more" CPU if they wish to support the website.

Finally I would obviously NOT do this for paid websites. I can't believe a paid website was caught doing this. Double/triple dipping isn't cool. It's reminds me of how some hosting providers "get you" then ho charge you for support, replacements, and/or etc. :(

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds