Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How do you feel about forum competition?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
15 years ago, there were a lot of forums that blocked any competing forum link from being posted on the community.

This is an act that I call aggressive competition.

It gives you the "there's only room for one forum in the niche" vibe. I typically stay away from forums that practice it. I've never been one to block competition.

Forum competition is a good thing. The more options the member has, the better. Another form of the same niche means the niche is popular. The popularity of the niche is something we all want.

Competing forums can be idea generators. They can give you new ideas for new content, but the trick is to bring value with the idea and not copy the content blatantly. Add something to it that makes it unique otherwise, it's just another same topic.

Competing forums make for collaboration partners. Post-exchanging, for example, works because both parties are interested in the same topic.

I feel like there is way more good than bad when it comes to forum competition.

I'm curious about what everyone else thinks about forum competition.

Advertisement Placeholder
I am not comfortable sharing competition links on my forum. Neither do I do that to them. I still find it offensive.
I definitely don't agree.

Not with forums at least.

I think the aggressive competition really hurt the forum scene.

We're seeing the proof in reality with social what happens when two brands work together.

But I'll respect a forum that doesn't want my link there and still let them put their link on my forum. :cool:

It is not about " my link ". Information and advertising are two different things. If a competition link is posted on my forum, with good intentions, I will let it stay. But direct advertising is not right.

I approve of different ways of doing it though. Google gives everything for free and still is one of the most profitable companies in the world.

It's certainly not as cut throat as it was in the early 00s, there would be a lot of forums in competition and almost became tribal. A lot nastiness happened. These days I think its a lot more relaxed.

Luckily it's better these days, I actually think there is far more toxicity on social media rather than forums or l maybe it's just the forums I visit!

It's certainly not as cut throat as it was in the early 00s, there would be a lot of forums in competition and almost became tribal. A lot nastiness happened. These days I think its a lot more relaxed.
I remember those days.

Forums would try to destroy the reputation of other forums. Some would try to spy on forums and even join the staff ranks.

That I think helped with the overall downfall of forums.

I just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

I remember those days.

Forums would try to destroy the reputation of other forums. Some would try to spy on forums and even join the staff ranks.

That I think helped with the overall downfall of forums.

I just hope history doesn't repeat itself.

You used to have members who would pretend to be new members just posting normally and then after a week they would start spamming and just causing havoc. Was a weird time.

You used to have members who would pretend to be new members just posting normally and then after a week they would start spamming and just causing havoc. Was a weird time.
I definitely remember that.

And all the gossip too!

For a while, a forum was created to mock The Admin Zone. I joined it mainly to see what it was all about. They mocked me a little but then gave up when I wouldn't play their game.

That's pretty bad when a forum gets made for the sole purpose of gossiping about another forum.

There is a better things to do with free time!!!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds