Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

How do you deal with overly crazy users?

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
We all have the crazy types who come to our sites and forums. Sometimes they are a burden and make running a site a chore, but there is hope. You can always ban those users who continue to act up. If I get a user who isn't agreeing to behave, I give them warnings, and if they keep it up, I just ban them. I'm not going to let a user be rude and obnoxious, break the rules and they stay after they apologize. Sometimes they apologize thinking it will help, but they usually always continue after.

Advertisement Placeholder
So far I do not have any crazy users on my site. There are some users who copy content from other sites, or steal my content and republish it on other sites. But I do not have any users who do crazy stuff. However, I have encountered a lot of crazy users on forums where I am active. I was a paid poster on a certain forum but had to leave it because of a certain crazy user.

I currently don't own a website. However being a member for various forums I have come across some crazy users. If I were the admin or the moderator for that site I would have given them some warnings and if they seem persistent I would permanently ban their accounts.

Well, I don't really understand - crazy in what sense? If a particular user proves too stubborn even after several warnings, I think the best thing is to terminate the membership of the user.

Personally, I believe that the best way for you to handle this kind of people after several instruction on the things they are supposed to do and how they are supposed to do it, but they are still failing to do so would be to suspend their account so that they're going to rest and you will also rest.

What I'd do is keep a record of problematic behavior, including timestamps, screenshots, or relevant evidence. This documentation can be helpful if you need to take further action.

What I'd do is keep a record of problematic behavior, including timestamps, screenshots, or relevant evidence. This documentation can be helpful if you need to take further action.

This is the reason members are encouraged to report any kind of content that is not in line with the forum rules and guidelines so that everything is going to be documented in the moderation log. It will be very easy for you to have access to everything when investigating the person's account.

Honestly speaking I currently don't own a website. However I would like not to entertain the crazy users on my website for that matter. I bet crazy users are a threat to the website they are in.

This is the reason members are encouraged to report any kind of content that is not in line with the forum rules and guidelines so that everything is going to be documented in the moderation log. It will be very easy for you to have access to everything when investigating the person's account.
True, if users see reactions, content or behavior that does not conform to the forum rules, we must report it or notify the staff member directly to evaluate the situation, I think this is easy to solve, forums, for example, are a place for dialogue and debate, not confrontation.

True, if users see reactions, content or behavior that does not conform to the forum rules, we must report it or notify the staff member directly to evaluate the situation, I think this is easy to solve, forums, for example, are a place for dialogue and debate, not confrontation.

Exactly! There was a member who had similar case on another forum where I had the opportunity of also being among the staff barged into another members DM to confront him about his posts. It didn't end well as they both had war of words which the guy confronted reported the guy's profile. When we had everything reviewed, his account was penalised.

Exactly! There was a member who had similar case on another forum where I had the opportunity of also being among the staff barged into another members DM to confront him about his posts. It didn't end well as they both had war of words which the guy confronted reported the guy's profile. When we had everything reviewed, his account was penalised.
This is more common than we think, if not, we wouldn't need a good staff in forums to moderate all this, you are now a moderator of Bizdustry, congratulations for that, we will be able to keep the forum clean and healthy more effectively, and be able to be aware of such users, since they do not do good to the online communities.

It's important to enforce forum rules fairly and communicate transparently, and even after that, if you see disruptive or misbehaving users, you can temporarily suspend them with a warning and ban them permanently if they don't change their behavior.

Well, I don't really understand - crazy in what sense? If a particular user proves too stubborn even after several warnings, I think the best thing is to terminate the membership of the user.
Depends on your definition of it. For me it's just anyone who doesn't follow rules and keeps breaking them, maybe they make a fuss out loud and are obnoxious and rude to other co-workers. That kind of thing. Or it could be about someone who was just weird and awkward towards people.

We all have the crazy types who come to our sites and forums. Sometimes they are a burden and make running a site a chore, but there is hope. You can always ban those users who continue to act up. If I get a user who isn't agreeing to behave, I give them warnings, and if they keep it up, I just ban them. I'm not going to let a user be rude and obnoxious, break the rules and they stay after they apologize. Sometimes they apologize thinking it will help, but they usually always continue after.
There are crazy human beings online and offline. It's very difficult for you to manage them which is why killing yourself trying to work on them to behave is considered a waste of time. If you notice such members, ban or suspend their account.

Depends on your definition of it. For me it's just anyone who doesn't follow rules and keeps breaking them, maybe they make a fuss out loud and are obnoxious and rude to other co-workers. That kind of thing. Or it could be about someone who was just weird and awkward towards people.

Any forum member who is not behaving in a right manner towards other people on the community is definitely there causing serious trouble and it's going to threaten the peace and quiet of the forum. If he or she isn't taken care of on time, it's going to spread like cancer.

I have never been in a position where I had to deal with a crazy member. I have had a lot of rule-breakers and spammers, but I never have had any crazy members. However, I have seen a lot of crazy members on a lot of forums. I even had to deal with such a member on one of the forums I participated regularly.

I have never been in a position where I had to deal with a crazy member. I have had a lot of rule-breakers and spammers, but I never have had any crazy members. However, I have seen a lot of crazy members on a lot of forums. I even had to deal with such a member on one of the forums I participated regularly.

Dealing with a crazy member is not something that I would even be worried about because as long as there is a procedure which I can use and take care of the person, I just need him to step out of the line and I will use the procedure of the forum as a staff and put him in his place without any hesitation.

All the time bro. Almost daily! Dealing with disruptive users is definitely a challenge, but enforcing clear rules and setting boundaries is essential. I've encountered my fair share of such users on my forums as well. I usually give them a warning and remind them of the community guidelines. If their behavior persists, I don't hesitate to take the necessary action and ban them from the forum. It's important to maintain a positive and respectful environment for all members, and sometimes banning is the best way to ensure that.

It's important to maintain a positive and respectful environment for all members, and sometimes banning is the best way to ensure that.

This is what ensures that your forum last for a very long time. When your forum users are not comfortable being on the forum because of unnecessary attacks and trolls from certain members, they will walk away from your community and when those trolls see they don't have anyone else to troll, they will go away too, thereby leaving your forum dead.

You understand the steps. The first step is giving them a warning that what they are doing on your forum is unacceptable and that they should stop. When they continue to act in the same manner, then you have no other options than to ban them from your forum. I don't even understand why some forum members will be dramatic though.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds