Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

How do you change when you are staff?

Martee

Mythical member
Credits
Imagine this, you were a chatty member on a community and you've helped all the right people. Then one day, you get made a moderator of this forum, how do you change personally? Do you post more, post less but more helpfully or stay behind the veil of secrecy?

I've seen many chatty members slow down the posting when they are made staff, personally I tend to try not to change both the way I talk and the amount I post. Unfortunately, that can not always be avoided!

Advertisement Placeholder
I became far more active on AAF when I became a staff member. I agree with Shawn, staff members should be more active than normal members- but there are circumstances when they can't.

I try not to change at all because obviously I was made a staff member for the way I was acting, why should you change? :)

I was chatty on my own site, but I can see how you woudlo want to be more careful if you were promoted from a regular member to a moderator. You can't really 'hang out' in the same way as much, especially if someone is troublesome

Unless the workload given to me as staff is too much it impacts on my usual active and being chatty, that's only when I'll change. But if things stay normal, as a staff getting some incentives and motivation, I will work harder than ever.

I don't see the sense in changing as they hired you as they saw you behave and act on the forum and if they want someone who acts differently then find that guy and don't expect to hire someone and then expect them to form some mold you had in mind in how you want them to be.

When I am staff on a forum I wouldn't say that I change at all, I am the same person as a staff member and nothing changes, I have more responsibilities within the forum I am staff at and that is about it.

I hate when I see staff members who come in and let the power get to their heads, I feel that can be a turn-off for anyone joining or participating in a forum.

I'm going to add some questions here.

You're a staff member and you see a new user where you strongly disagree with their opinion on something., when nothing is broken in the TOS. It could be the news of the latest video game about current events, etc. Would you openly disagree?

Taking it a step further. What if you see a new user where you strongly disagree right their facts on something, when nothing is broke in the TOS. It could be about historical perspectives of real world events, about the definition of something, etc. Would you openly disagree?

Where I am going with this is that while activity from staff is appreciated and welcomed, the opportunity for staff to be outspoken needs to be reduced. The standards of conversation are narrower and tighter, and you need to be more careful in what you say You DO hold more weight, more power, and more influence in the community, and your personal conduct is more scrutinized.

As a staff member, I have always been the same, nothing changes depending on whether I am a member or a staff member.

I'm going to add some questions here.

You're a staff member and you see a new user where you strongly disagree with their opinion on something., when nothing is broken in the TOS. It could be the news of the latest video game about current events, etc. Would you openly disagree?

Taking it a step further. What if you see a new user where you strongly disagree right their facts on something, when nothing is broke in the TOS. It could be about historical perspectives of real world events, about the definition of something, etc. Would you openly disagree?

Where I am going with this is that while activity from staff is appreciated and welcomed, the opportunity for staff to be outspoken needs to be reduced. The standards of conversation are narrower and tighter, and you need to be more careful in what you say You DO hold more weight, more power, and more influence in the community, and your personal conduct is more scrutinized.
If I disagreed, I would be open about it and add my opinion. I don't see anything against sharing that you disagree and adding your opinion as well, that is how some of the best discussions start!

While I have a high regard for staff holding and expressing their opinions even if they strictly disagree with non staff members of their community, there is a duty to doing so in a tactful way that represents the best attitude the community wants to see. There is little that causes damage more than a staff member going off and creating a conflict of interest or other nastiness that diminishes user faith, trust or comfort in working with someone who's outspoken and brash and happens to have the big ban button. Some of that outspokenness especially when it comes to procedure should be filtered to internal areas - another dreadful issue is if you have staff openly fighting or contradicting each other on matters of policy. Staff fora exist for a reason.

So to answer the questions if I really disagreed and it is a place with an open debate culture, sure - it just has to be done with care. There are places which have various policies including don't moderate discussions you're involved in or maintaining neutrality say for community procedure, this is something good for staff to iron out and follow as applicable.

To me... staff need to be more active than regular members. See we are leaders (as staff I mean) and we need to be active as much as possible because members will follow the leader like the old saying goes. If you have an active staff team, then you will likely have an active forum. :)
I still agree with 27-year-old me!

A staff member should go above and beyond and be active to encourage community growth.

I'm staff in one community, but I get paid for it. However, I look at myself as a growth leader rather than an administrator.

I see my role as Community Manager in this community as engaging with members, making new members feel welcomed, post content that gets the whole community involved, and facilitating a friendly environment.

I don't think we should flaunt power or be strict. People will just go elsewhere. I would myself. I won't put up with power-hungry people. I'm too old and have set my ways, lol.

Instead, we should act as if the community is our livelihoods and do everything we can to make it the happening place to be at!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 77.4%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds