Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Home servers

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Has anyone ever run their own home servers?

This is where the server is based at your house.

I've seen some people have setups for this. They had install fire suppression and air systems, but it worked.

Do you think this is a good method if you know what you're doing?

Advertisement Placeholder
I run my own Linux home server for other purposes (Minecraft servers for my kids, laptop backups, file server, media player...) which could run my websites just fine should I want to. There are three main issues for me.

First, you really need your ISP to assign you a static IP. This usually costs extra, and may not be an option.
Second, home broadband isn't quite as resilient and reliable as a datacenter host and your home router/firewall isn't necessarily up to spec.
Third, you have to punch a public hole into your home network to allow traffic in. If hackers break in to my home network they can destroy all my stuff.

In the end a VPS makes more sense.

Generally running a self-hosted server from your house is a losing proposition. Most ISP's frown upon it, and many block necessary ports. The exception to this is (sometimes) if you have a business account... and even then they frequently bitch slap you to the curb.

If you want that ability... typically you are going to be paying for REAL fiber to your house... and not the "play' fiber that many ISP's offer you.
You HAVE to check what restrictions are put into place by your ISP. I think many will be surprised at how restrictive they are... they simply want to SEND you data... they have NO desire to have you host a site sharing data.

Home server != Server from home
Yes... a home server IS a server being ran from home (residence). A home-built server being hosted in a data center does not equate to a home server. The "home server" can even be something as simple as your router providing inbound VPN services for your residence (which my current router does).
I have two Dell R820's here at the house... those are home servers that came out of a commercial environment. One of them IS tied into my home ISP provider network and is restricted on what services are available and what outside IP's can access it, but I cannot use many of the normal server features for hosting a website as they violate the TOS of my ISP provider, which provides residential services. Now, one of the sites I do work with has a commercial account with the same provider as my home services... and they ARE allowed to utilize many of those functions (no MTA's though). BUT... they are still limited by the 400Mbps outbound/10Mbps inbound bottleneck.
As I said... MANY residential ISP providers DO NOT allow doing such on their residential plans, even with a static IP (which I also have due to doing remote work that is restricted on access to their sites by IP).

Last edited:
What's a good one to go with for a beginner?

Or is that the brand name?
I have both a 4GB and a 8GB RPi 4 that I use on my astronomy equipment... and if I had it to do over again, I'd have 2 8GB's instead.
Honestly.. if I had it to do over again, I'd probably grab at least one NUC and roll out my own Linux solution of StellarMate OS on it.
The big downfall of the shipping RPi is that it is designed to run everything off an SD card.... which can be slow at times.

Last edited:
Ok, in my dictionary, it is a server for home use.

From Wikipedia

A home server is a computing server located in a private computing residence providing services to other devices inside or outside the household through a home network or the Internet.

1675167648461.png

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds