Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Having a similar name to another company

Grant

Captain Junkie
Credits
What do you do when you have a similar name to another company? Should you change it? Or should you go with it as long as it's different enough? I feel like there is too much power for companies where they can copyright some words. I understand phrases and quotes, but when you can sometimes copyright a word, it kind of becomes a misuse of power imo. Anyway, when do you think it's copyright infringement?

Advertisement Placeholder
When it comes to names of companies or brand names, the intellectual property involved here is trademark and yes it may amount to trademark infringement unless you can prove that you have been using it for a longer period of time and is popular among the public.

As long as the similarity in the names of both companies is not something that is going to be very confusing to my potential customers, then I would not have to worry so much about it.

I would only consider changing it, if it confuse my customer in a way that they patronize my competitor without knowing it's not me.

In our country, it is not possible to use similar names for a company. While registering a company, you are supposed to come up with an original name. If your name matches with an already registered business, you will be asked to change it. Business names are trade marked, therefore, possibility of having similar names is non-existent.

Over here in my country, as long as there is a difference in the name, the body that is responsible for registration of business name will not have anything it because there is something to differentiate the name from each other. In a situation whereby there is no difference in the name in any way, they will not register the new business name because that is something that is already existing with it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds