Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Have you ever had anything custom created?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Whether it was an entire community software/platform, a theme, or a feature enhancement (such as an addon/plugin/etc.), have you ever had anything custom-created specific for your community only?

If so, what was it? Was it worth it? Is it still being used?

Advertisement Placeholder
When Christianity Haven was first created, the site owner had someone do a lot of custom work. Of course, that's when we were using Vbulletin and we've since switched over to Xenforo, so we lost all those cool things.
I think a lot of communities lost great features (and probably members) because they switched from VB or XF.

I switched a big board over to XF from VB 3.8 and everything went downhill after that, but there was no way I was upgrading to VB4.

I think a lot of communities lost great features (and probably members) because they switched from VB or XF.

I switched a big board over to XF from VB 3.8 and everything went downhill after that, but there was no way I was upgrading to VB4.

We had VB4 and our host told us we had to upgrade to something due to security reasons, so we migrated to Xenforo. The owner didn't like VB5 because it had known issues.

I designed the themes of my own forums many years ago. I loved playing around with MyBB and I got kinda good at it so I would design a custom theme for my own forum. I’ve never designed a XenForo (my current forum’s software) theme though but I might start playing around with it.

I used to be set on running custom skins and themes, but the cost was never worth it.
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think forum admins spend too much time focused on the skin and themes.

It's important your community looks presentable. And yes, you should have a logo or brand that stands out. But making an entirely custom theme (that can cost several hundred dollars, and requires ongoing maintenance with every template update) is a very expensive upkeep for the sake of design.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think forum admins spend too much time focused on the skin and themes.

It's important your community looks presentable. And yes, you should have a logo or brand that stands out. But making an entirely custom theme (that can cost several hundred dollars, and requires ongoing maintenance with every template update) is a very expensive upkeep for the sake of design.
Nope...not an "unpopular one" with me.
I don't mind paying for a good theme... but modifications to it are done by me. That way, when I upgrade, I'm not dependent (other than the yearly support costs) of paying for the theme (in some cases) having a major re-work.
It will be interesting with XF to see how 2.3 and the developers handle those type of customizations.

Why do you say that?
I said 2.3, but meant 3.0.
XF 3.0 is having a major theme engine revamp. A lot of your current customizations used on 2.2.xx will not work directly with XF 3.0 from my understanding (FA icons being one of them). You will have to modify your customizations to fit the new theme engine requirements.
There are some questions about if 2.3 is going to have some issues also due to the way they are doing the "dark" style. I honestly don't keep up real closely with their support site any more.

I wonder how many theme designers will be up for the change.

Forums are not as popular as they used to be.

I can already see a decline in theme/plugin updates based on what it was 10 years ago.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds