Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Have you ever attempted to open a competing business with the one you work at?

glitch

beep boop
Credits
A work friend of mine wants to open up a business that would almost directly compete with the business we both currently work for. I have not said anything to anyone and our boss doesn't know his plans. It is none of my business either way. I just think it is risky. Have you ever attempted to open a competing business with the one you work at?

Advertisement Placeholder
I have never done that. Even though I was being paid well, I left the job because the job no longer fascinated me. Would I consider creating the same business thet I left because I lost interest?

A work friend of mine wants to open up a business that would almost directly compete with the business we both currently work for. I have not said anything to anyone and our boss doesn't know his plans. It is none of my business either way. I just think it is risky. Have you ever attempted to open a competing business with the one you work at?

There are many people who open a business and they compete with their former bosses many times. They usually learn the skill and they gather the right kind of experience and then they start their own business. This is how they become professional in their own field.

There are some companies that will make you sign documents that's legally binding that you won't open a business that's going to rival the company. I have been made to sign such a document in the past. Although, I never had any plans on starting that business. It's a very risky something to do in my opinion.

I could open such a business if the location is not too close. There are absolutely nothing wrong running a business that you have a good experience on. But it should not very close to the one already established by my boss..

There are some companies that will make you sign documents that's legally binding that you won't open a business that's going to rival the company. I have been made to sign such a document in the past. Although, I never had any plans on starting that business. It's a very risky something to do in my opinion.

They force employees to do that because they do not want anyone to start a business that would compete with them in the market. However, how do they even make people sign such kind of documents? Anyone can open a business that may seem like a business which is already thriving in the market. For example, McDonald's cannot force Burger King to sign a document that would make them stop making burgers and fast food.

Your friend is not doing anything wrong as long as he doesn't use any of the personal information at your workplace against the boss. Competition is allowed in most businesses and anyone that can start one should feel free to do so as long as it is done in a healthy way.

They force employees to do that because they do not want anyone to start a business that would compete with them in the market. However, how do they even make people sign such kind of documents? Anyone can open a business that may seem like a business which is already thriving in the market. For example, McDonald's cannot force Burger King to sign a document that would make them stop making burgers and fast food.

Yeah, that's very correct. It's why they did it to all of the workers employed by the company. They are afraid of having to compete with someone who already knows their business secret. It can be very challenging but I don't see it as a big deal competition in business is allowed as far as I'm concerned.

I've worked for many businesses but I've never considered starting another business which is going to be a rival to the company where I stopped working. It's not a smart thing to do because the business is more popular than your new business. Your new business will never find it easy getting new customers, as sales will be very slow.

I've worked for many businesses but I've never considered starting another business which is going to be a rival to the company where I stopped working. It's not a smart thing to do because the business is more popular than your new business. Your new business will never find it easy getting new customers, as sales will be very slow.

I think that I would consider the actual competition in the market before opening any kind of business and this also includes the location of the business I am working for. I am quite sure that the boss may not think very highly of you if you directly compete your business with his or her business.

I think that I would consider the actual competition in the market before opening any kind of business and this also includes the location of the business I am working for. I am quite sure that the boss may not think very highly of you if you directly compete your business with his or her business.
I have my own business idea and it's what I have pursued, planned on and started. It's what I have passion for and it's why I don't weaver whenever I'm facing challenges in the business. If I had copied another business to start as their competition, I will not go far with it.

I never really thought to. The last job I worked at that wasn't freelance, was the call center I speak about often. I worked support and I hated every minute of it, so that would be a big no for me. I don't want to ever deal with a customer again having issues with something. I wish anyone the best for having to work as a support rep.

I never really thought to. The last job I worked at that wasn't freelance, was the call center I speak about often. I worked support and I hated every minute of it, so that would be a big no for me. I don't want to ever deal with a customer again having issues with something. I wish anyone the best for having to work as a support rep.

I can understand that. Having said that, I think that freelancing is far much better than working in a call centre. There are many people who have worked in a call centre and they have started their own call centre. They are now competing with other people who run call centres.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds