Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Has you forum ever been hacked?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
Has your forum ever been the victim of intrusive hacking?

How bad was it hacked? Did you lose access to it?

Do you know what caused the vulnerability that led to the intrusion?

How did you overcome it?

Advertisement Placeholder
In the early 00s, the forum would be targeted and hacked every other week. The security isn't what it is now and it was fairly simple tbh. We lost a lot of members because of it.

Back in 2006, I had a forum reviews forum on InvisionFree. We had some success and a former member who was banned cracked my password and deleted all members, posts and forums. That was horrible.

Same thing happened again by someone else this time in 2008. Same Reviews board, also InvisionFree. Cracked a staff members’ password and deleted all posts. We had around 100.000 posts at that time.

Since then never occurred, let’s hope it stays that way. 😅

Back in 2006, I had a forum reviews forum on InvisionFree. We had some success and a former member who was banned cracked my password and deleted all members, posts and forums. That was horrible.

Same thing happened again by someone else this time in 2008. Same Reviews board, also InvisionFree. Cracked a staff members’ password and deleted all posts. We had around 100.000 posts at that time.

That would be so horrible!

I guess 2-step verification being enabled can help control that.

Is that something you use now?

Have you taken extra precautions on how to handle security?

I had a forum I launched for fun on phpbb2, went to sleep and woke up to a forum full of Russian posts. They took over the board and made it their own. I wasn't even demoted.

That was such a weird "hack".

I had a forum I launched for fun on phpbb2, went to sleep and woke up to a forum full of Russian posts. They took over the board and made it their own. I wasn't even demoted.

That was such a weird "hack".
That is weird.

I think all my forums that were hacked with PhpBB2 and it was because I added a manual addon wrong.

Most of the time, stuff was defaced.

I used to also get hacked when I used Turnkey scripts. I would get clones of Twitter and MySpace and stuff like that and those were always full of security holes.

Yeah, so now I ALWAYS have 2FA on any account that supports it. If it doesn't, I use a strong password generated by Bitwarden.

What was the member originally banned for? Seems awfully petty for them to do that.

What was the member originally banned for? Seems awfully petty for them to do that
I honestly don’t remember the reasoning behind it. He even admitted it publicly on the cracked forum. As for the second time, no one admitted it but we had a feeling who did it, but couldn’t proof it. It was a time where we didn’t have access to databases and restores were not possible so it ended both cases dramatically.

I honestly don’t remember the reasoning behind it. He even admitted it publicly on the cracked forum. As for the second time, no one admitted it but we had a feeling who did it, but couldn’t proof it. It was a time where we didn’t have access to databases and restores were not possible so it ended both cases dramatically.

That would have been heartbreaking, especially when so much work had been put into your forum.

My forum was hacked back when it was on MyBB several years ago. Part of the reason I switched to XenForo. No damage was done and only a few hours worth of data loss because I had a backup from the night before.
Was it before or after MyBB hire the outside party to rate their security?

I remember when MyBB announced that. I thought for sure that their software would be one of the safest after doing something like that.

Was it before or after MyBB hire the outside party to rate their security?

I remember when MyBB announced that. I thought for sure that their software would be one of the safest after doing something like that.

I don't remember that so it was probably before. The hackers pretty much just went down the list of all the forums listed in their forum showcase section hacking each one, which oddly made me feel a little better because at least the attack wasn't personal. They were just going after as many targets as possible. I believe MyBB patched the hole the hackers discovered but I still didn't feel safe anymore on their platform so I converted my forum to XF.

I don't remember that so it was probably before. The hackers pretty much just went down the list of all the forums listed in their forum showcase section hacking each one, which oddly made me feel a little better because at least the attack wasn't personal. They were just going after as many targets as possible. I believe MyBB patched the hole the hackers discovered but I still didn't feel safe anymore on their platform so I converted my forum to XF.
I think I might had been a victim of that hack.

Back then I probably would had several forums running.

At one time, I ran way too many.

I think they all got hacked.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds