Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Has anyone ever used a dedicated server for forums?

Shawn Gossman1

Legendary member
Administrator
Website
www.shawngossman.com
Credits
I'm curious if anyone here has used a dedicated server to run their forums.

If so, what was your experience like using the server?

Did you have to manage it or did your host manage it?

Advertisement Placeholder
In 17 years my forum has been on shared hosts, dedicated host and VPS. I also work in IT as a Senior Cloud & Infrastructure Engineer.

In my experience, dedicated hosts are no longer necessary. Most companies these days have moved to virtualisation (more recently, containerisation) for almost all workloads, so I would suggest a virtual private server (VPS) is the way to go. You get all the benefits of your own server, but backups are generally easier, and you can generally scale the server up or down very easily as demand changes.

Well...my answer is yes and no.

For a period... I had a dedicated server that I used ProxMox on and created individual VPS's for use of the sites on... got tired of paying $120+ a month for a simple dedicated server) and another $540 a year for a license to run my own VPS's for my sites... in the long term.. it was cheaper to go to a dedicated VPS instead.

I had a dedicated server for a little while and found that my prior VPS handled traffic a lot better than the server did. I would had needed to buy an even more expensive server to be able to cope with the resource load.

I went back to VPS and everything cleared up.

I'll be sticking with VPS for the longhaul.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds