Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire summer through August, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Guest Access

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
Do you allow guests to post on your forum? Why or Why not and How do you do it/ what restrictions are in place? :)

Advertisement Placeholder
I never give guests ability to post on a forum. Reason for this is fairly obvious, spam. I don't want to deal with it on regular basis, because I'm too lazy to delete bunch of spam threads and my demo site is a proof of that. :laugh:

So I try to prevent it in the first place and that's why I don't allow guests to post, because most guest would spam, FACT.

1008539.jpg

Never have and never will. Allows for too much spam to slip through the cracks and when the staff isn't online gives the site a bad name. I don't even let guests see all boards of the forum, usually only the ones to do with the site genre itself,

Never have and never will. Allows for too much spam to slip through the cracks and when the staff isn't online gives the site a bad name. I don't even let guests see all boards of the forum, usually only the ones to do with the site genre itself,

I usually let guests see all the forum sections besides VIP and staff. But I will never allow guests to post on a forum, its just a terrible idea that could lead to too much spam.

I usually let guests see all the forum sections besides VIP and staff. But I will never allow guests to post on a forum, its just a terrible idea that could lead to too much spam.
I just don't see why they need to see and read topics about the site itself and it's members.

Exactly, and if you can link me 1 forum that allows this, and does not have a single post of spam, I will gladly give away $1 million. (ok not really).

I find it SOO hard to believe why someone would think this is a good idea in any way, shape, or form. it boggles my mind and makes me go nuts. As one webmaster to the next, just don't allow it.

^ free one million dollars for tunescool Jordan :p

I just don't see why they need to see and read topics about the site itself and it's members.

Why not restrict the more 'personal' posts of your forum so to speak and allow them to read the actual niche content on your site? I wouldn't see the point in restricing them full stop imo, how else would I know what sort of content you would offer me? Isn't there like a read X amount of pages as a guest before locking the forum mod for IPB anyway?

^ free one million dollars for tunescool Jordan :p

Why not restrict the more 'personal' posts of your forum so to speak and allow them to read the actual niche content on your site? I wouldn't see the point in restricing them full stop imo, how else would I know what sort of content you would offer me? Isn't there like a read X amount of pages as a guest before locking the forum mod for IPB anyway?
I allow them to read the posts about gaming and that, which is the site niche, but not about site news, introductions etc.

This was something we attempted a little while back on the forum I run now and at first it seemed like a good idea, we was getting guests using it for the reasons we had made it available, however after a little while we started to get problems from genuine guests who wanted to just cause trouble so we decided to scrap it and only allow the contact us option to be available for guests who where having problems.

I think either way you will get spam regardless. If you require sign-up to view certain areas of the forum, or as you say to post comments then you're really asking for people to make accounts just to ask one or two questions and then probably leave.

I think instead of saying absolutely no posting, limit the posting for guests to say 10 posts or something. That should be plenty to ask all the queries they have about your site.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 82.8%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds