Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Getting Wifi Without Drama??

Friendly Survival

Reputable member
Credits
I am honestly getting sick and tired of cycling various Wifi Adapters/Dongles that won't works to perfection on Ubuntu based OSes.

Does anyone know of any manufacturer that sells on Amazon that specialize in Ubuntu based Wifi adapters/dongles without having questionable qualities?

I would love to have a fully functioning device that I don't need to yank out and re insert after the OS boots up for once!

Advertisement Placeholder
Look for one of those USB Wi-Fi adapters. You get what you pay for, there are cheap ones and more expensive ones. Obviously the higher priced ones will go a little further, but a cheap one can run you $10 bucks.

The USB adapters are as small as the little usb sticks for the wireless keyboard and mouses.

Look for one of those USB Wi-Fi adapters. You get what you pay for, there are cheap ones and more expensive ones. Obviously the higher priced ones will go a little further, but a cheap one can run you $10 bucks.

The USB adapters are as small as the little usb sticks for the wireless keyboard and mouses.

I do understand that price does have an impact sometimes. However I am specifically seeking for one that will works on Linux (Ubuntu based) without "hiccups" like I mentioned.

I just looking to plug in said device and get Wifi out of it. Or at worst to install a .deb driver to run it smoothly.

But I tried 3 so far and they all don't work or doesn't even support Linux.

• Says it's compatible with Linux 2.4 or greater and has the most reviews/ratings
  • Supports Ubuntu along with a ton of the fam
  • Supports Ubuntu along with Mint and the rest. A lot of people are saying that it doesn't work out of the box and there is crap for drivers but a ton of people are saying it has worked fine on the latest Ubuntu out of the box. There are fixes as I have in a spoiler below.
    • https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...16-20&linkId=bcbcd209f090de56a6c0863dbfcb52d2
      • Works well with Linux, apparently... But it looks as though it lacks well made Linux drivers. I read about a fix, however:
      • $ sudo apt install dkms
        $ git clone https:// github.com /abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux.git # you're going to need to remove the spaces in the address ofc
        $ cd rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux
        $ sudo cp -R . /usr/src/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux-1.0
        $ sudo dkms add -m rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux -v 1.0
        $ sudo dkms build -m rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux -v 1.0
        $ sudo dkms install -m rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux -v 1.0
        $ sudo reboot
Hope this helps.

• Supports Ubuntu along with Mint and the rest. A lot of people are saying that it doesn't work out of the box and there is crap for drivers but a ton of people are saying it has worked fine on the latest Ubuntu out of the box. There are fixes as I have in a spoiler below.

Thank you very much for helping me out with this. That adapter seems like the one that will do the trick. Reasonably priced and works with the router https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/5268ac.pdf as it dual 5Ghz/2.4Ghz variant.

Wish me luck on this and thanks again! :)

Thank you very much for helping me out with this. That adapter seems like the one that will do the trick. Reasonably priced and works with the router https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/5268ac.pdf as it dual 5Ghz/2.4Ghz variant.

Wish me luck on this and thanks again! :smiley:
Hope it works for you! My adapter recently broke but luckily I have a router close by so I'm just doing with a random ethernet cable running across my room lol.

Hope it works for you! My adapter recently broke but luckily I have a router close by so I'm just doing with a random ethernet cable running across my room lol.

Thanks you very much!

I would too hard wire it but the router is way downstairs and we don't own the condo so... Yea unless I wanna run a 50 FT line it not possible to wire it otherwise.

I still have the monster downstairs just in case if it comes down to it. Right now though I am using the Bekins that "came back to life" so at least it's "works" . But I would love just to boot and forget....

I am updating that one ended up working FINALLY on it own! Even after a kernel update it still continue to operate! Now time will only tell if lasts decently long enough. :)

Thanks again for your help!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 72.7%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds