Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Getting Gen Z interested in forums

She sounds more like a Millenial (they are 27-42). And honestly... (and I DON'T mean to be mean) but it seems that Gen Z in many ways are MORE intelligent than many Millenials.
I'm a Millenial, not all of us in my generation are as stupid as boomers and Gen X tend to say we are. Honestly there's stupid people in every generation, that's just how it goes in society. As for the question at hand, there are some Gen Zr's that do use forums. I've recently seen some Gen Zr's joining a Sonic forum I frequent quite often. Honestly it's going to be hard to get most Gen Zr's interested in any forum. They want quick discussions, that's why most of them use Discord. I'm hoping the internet will make a 360 and eventually more Gen Zr's will see that being part of a forum is more rewarding and easier to navigate. I know deep down that there's still a need for forums, we just need to find the balance between forums and quick chatting apps. I've seen more and more people ditching Facebook and Twitter too, perhaps we can get these people interested in forums?

Advertisement Placeholder
And now we are at the "chicken/egg" point. The issue is that MUCH of the younger society can't "take the time" to filter through some content that may be lengthy. They wan't it fed to them in short (but not necessarily concise or precise) statements. If they actually have to think about it, they have issues. It's almost like they lack the ability at times to have cognizant thought processes that can continue the process to a logical conclusion. They have to be TOLD what the end result is/should be.
It is possible to get through to younger people on the Internet in longform content, but I've only really seen it on topics that have to do with making money, lifestyle, dating, socializing, and similar topics. All of these topics have to do with growing up which is where a lot of young people's mindsets are at. For everything else they go to TikTok and other feeds.

I personally have seen this several times when helping at a local clinic and explaining the work process flow. Older employees seem to have minimal issues... the younger ones need to be told step by step.
I have encountered this as well when I train young employees to use the Square app to take orders at a restaurant/food truck, and it perplexes me how long it takes some of them to get it. I used to think young people would never be the ones with the learning problems for this kind of tech, but it turns out that it is an attention span/interest level issue. I don't expect everyone who steps into this service work to have a passion for it, but I do wish some of the old fashioned thinking of taking pride in your work was more ingrained here.

Something that I've found that is rather funny... try actually CALLING them on the phone... they tend not to answer. They would rather deal with contact via text or social media!
This is true (guilty over here) but I do wish the older generation would text a bit more. :p Phone calls are fine but with phones in everyone's back pocket it is extremely inconvenient to stop what you are doing to answer a phone call so often.

Feel free to show me where I've "shouted down" anything. I may have commented that for ME it would not be a viable solution.... got a feeling you tend/trend to go off the deep end?
oh, I don't know, post #18 in this thread just because it's the nearest. Tracy don't wanna hear anything Tracy don't like.

Honestly... once more.. a short term swing... exactly HOW relevant is he (or actually FB currently). You DO realize that FB is bleeding subscribers regularly and the younger generations avoid it... right?
Well, the point I was making - which I guess I need to spell out - is that your 'one person can't make a difference', well, 19 years ago Facebook didn't exist and one person made it happen.

Then in 2006, Twitter didn't exist until it existed.

The odds that the next big social change is me? Pretty slim if we're honest. But slim is not zero. Won't know until I try - and I don't need to listen to your doom and gloom where everything is busted, there's no point doing anything etc. etc. because that's all I hear from you.

Every change has to start somewhere. How about you start not being an ass for a change?

If all the generations are so doomed, why are you even bothering writing guides about astrophotography for other people since you clearly aren't as interested in getting them on board as you say you are. Everyone else is an idiot, blah blah blah.

They want quick discussions, that's why most of them use Discord.
Plenty of folks in all the generations using Discord; nothing special about Gen Z there. It's got all the advantages - one app to hit all the places, notifications etc., good media support. Has voice chat too, which helps its case a lot.

But it has the same instant feedback/dopamine cycle that all the social media places have, with the instant gratification cycle that implies. Forum based communities aren't going to have that - and for some reason that's inherently a bad thing? It just points out that we need to find something that is of interest and relevance to these people.

😄sorry i find the whole "gen xyz", "millennials", "boomers", etc thing to be just bloody absurd in the way these terms seem most commonly used to regard some ambiguous and apparently "authoritative" age-defined entities existing out there amongst us.

Just seems like these terms may be merely somewhat adequate-yet inherently limited-as general references in certain contexts—but only when devoid of the (*imo) now commonly ascribed negative connotations.
[*Weaponized words.]

So, "Getting Gen Z interested in forums"

Overall i really like Arantor's insights and opinions on this subject, and honestly cracked up reading the preceding post.
😂Bloody good stuff!

Now, regarding the pertinent subject at hand, i just don't see what the issue is—though i must make it clear that i am not technically knowledgeable nor experienced sufficiently to address these specific aspects.

However i can opinionate from a perspective of an awful "millennial" who uses Quora, Telegram, Bitchute, YT, Discussion forums—and none of the narcissism induction/gratification mediums like TikTok, Snapchat, FB and whatever tf else.

i've been trying to work out why we haven't already integrated/adapted many aspects of the more popular mainstream flashy social media formats into the general discussion forum format.

Imo this is an important & necessary subject yet 😄 every time i have brought this up with forum experts & enthusiasts in recent months, the responses have been nought but essentially amounting to blank stares from lazer equipped eyes.

It would be fricken fantastic to find a forum that functions optionally more or less as both a common discussion board and an instant gratification mainstream social media platform.

Like Arantor highlighted, there are many different individuals within every age range and in the same vein as believing some ambiguous generational entities exists, it seems thus from a commercial pov the focus will probably always be reliant upon broad statistical conclusions drawn from selected groups whom are typically those most proactively acquiescent unto participation with a societies artificial majority consensus—and not at all correlating with real world experiences of individuals actualities.

Are not all individuals unique?

Sure there are many shared characterological archetypes, personality dimensions, ideological belief hierarchies, physical endowments and environmental influences, though these will always vary greatly no matter how digitally interconnected our species may become.

So i think it's more reasonable a question not about "Getting Gen Z interested in forums" but rather; what can we learn from the mediums most attractive to those of the younger age range?

Thusly follows, how then might we harmoniously integrate these within common forums in such ways as for proving beneficial &/or to enable efficacious capitalization-whether it be socially &/or financially so.

😄Imo either some genius forum junkies cease upon this clear opportunity, or perhaps someone from the younger age range might soon recognize what most attracts us forum enthusiasts to this particular medium—shortly thereafter quite possibly also selfishly realizing the financial potentials from integration of attractive forum aspects within flashy mainstream instant gratification platforms.

Isn't that weird Elon actor already hinting at the development of something along this line of integrated composite social media thinking—which may even potentially supersede many specialized mediums including both the current preeminent mainstream instant junk platforms as well as intellectually stimulating slower paced forums.

One thing i will suggest, and imo it IS something which stands out as crucially important yet generally ignored imo, is the glaring lack of the most basic fundamental interactivity possible—ironically demonstrated by the overwhelming majority that i've witnessed on far too many discussion forums;

🤨...reacting to posts.

If we wish to attract individuals of a younger age range whom have overwhelmingly been indoctrinated with a standardized instant gratification mentality—they simply will NOT be attracted to platforms where they are incapable of gaining any/or miniscule ego satiating feedback from others.

And frankly at the minimum it is practically irrelevant whether some of us possess our own subjective perspectives of such things as reacting to posts—the reality is that the lack of this simple tap of a finger interaction speaks volumes to the average forum user.

From my own experience i know well that the silence is deafening even though i really just couldn't gaf either way.

Ya wanna attract these "Gen Zs",...

...give them the gratification they are addicted to.

give them the gratification they are addicted to.
Sorry.. many niche sites aren't targeted at "instant gratification"... in fact, some of them require 8-10 hours of base processing to get to the point that they can have an image to be somewhat "gratified" of.
Simple case in point.. this image took about 2 hours to capture the data... and another 6 to get it to this "basic" stage.

full

Please, explain to me and others in this field how we can "kow-tow" to "instant gratification".

This one took a "simple" 11 hours to reach what you see.

full

The simple fact is.. for some niches, that "instant gratification itch" will have be self-serviced, because reality tends to slap a certain "give it to me now" personality in the face when based in reality.

Can you deal with that "scratch my ass now" type activity.. yep, if you are a niche that doesn't really take much "work" to result in a valid response.

Sorry.. many niche sites aren't targeted at "instant gratification"... in fact, some of them require 8-10 hours of base processing to get to the point that they can have an image to be somewhat "gratified" of.
Simple case in point.. this image took about 2 hours to capture the data... and another 6 to get it to this "basic" stage.

full

Please, explain to me and others in this field how we can "kow-tow" to "instant gratification".

This one took a "simple" 11 hours to reach what you see.

full

The simple fact is.. for some niches, that "instant gratification itch" will have be self-serviced, because reality tends to slap a certain "give it to me now" personality in the face when based in reality.

Can you deal with that "scratch my ass now" type activity.. yep, if you are a niche that doesn't really take much "work" to result in a valid response.
Yeah, ok i can appreciate your opinions there Tracy.

However regardless of your own subjective opinions you've generously presented, the simple fact is that the subject being discussed here pertains to "Getting Gen Z interested in forums"—not; 'how to maintain Tracy's subjectively assumed exclusivity/superiority complex and f##k what anyone else thinks because they're too stupid.'

It's wonderful that you're so repulsively enthusiastic about your particular chosen deep sky astrophotography hobby, but what are you supposedly contributing other than; 'Look at me, I choose to spend my time creating deep space imagery composites and arrogantly chatting about it with like minds on an exclusive forum and obnoxiously gloating about how great I believe I am to others on an admin focused forum—therefore screw bothering consideration for any whom are non-astrophotography obsessed'.

Now i easily recognize the passive-aggressive rhetoric smeared throughout your lovely self aggrandizing spiel and yet i will refrain from mercilessly rag-dolling the psychology behind that kinda narcissistic shite.

Ironically i've also already successfully answered those pseudo-"questions" you've presented—though i doubt you'd recognize so.

The opinions shared in my post which you've responded to, are in no way suggesting the full blown targeted ass wiping gratification you've attempted to hijack and twist my opinions into.

i have not proposed kowtowing to the intellectually lazy nor the emotionally dysregulated as you seem to overtly imply—infact it does appear you've entirely failed/or deliberately disregarded ascertainment for any degree of insight i'd put forth.

And that's all good, you're free to do as you will in an effort to seek one's own niche self gratification preference—just as the "Gen Zs" are—which potentially includes many young astrophotography enthusiasts whose attraction may necessitate some degree of efforts afforded by current niche forum admins & participants alike effecting reasonable means of satisfying "Gen Zs" generationally standardized instant gratification affliction.

"Getting Gen Z interested in forums" will not magically occur without the current established hierarchies recognizing that adaptation is absolutely requisite for the continuation and evolution of these forums in general—where failure to do so will result in, at best, a slow drawn out demise unto death as younger generations capitalize upon our wilful disregard for our ceaselessly entropic reality.

Nevertheless whether Tracy and any others wish to cling to unwaveringly exclusive rigidities by so exuding encumbrances of outright hostile expectation upon those upcoming generations of an arbitrary price being automatic recognition & exerted acquiescence unto Tracy's greatness - alas to believe so is comically devoid of logic, instead traded for plain foolishness and equates with willfully preparing relegation of Tracy's exclusive niche club to history.

All while among millions of "GenZs" there will be astrophotography enthusiasts—eventually some may develop hybrid forum/junk soc-media,...

... perhaps even going so far as to supersede Tracy's exclusive astrophotography club before it kills itself.

😘

However regardless of your own subjective opinions you've generously presented, the simple fact is that the subject being discussed here pertains to "Getting Gen Z interested in forums"—not; 'how to maintain Tracy's subjectively assumed exclusivity/superiority complex and f##k what anyone else thinks because they're too stupid.'
And yet you avoid the VERY fact that the "massage me now' brigade (and sorry to burst your already burst lack of knowledge but that's not limited to ANY generation) can't really compete in ANY niche that requires the type of dedication that not only mine, but others do. You appear to want the "fluff me now" (does that say something about you?) aspect of quick, empty replies... but in REAL life... that rarely applies, as one has to devote time/energy to MANY pursuits that are niche and actually require intelligent thought. Instant replies are what they are worth, typically nothing as most of them are at most a line or two and have no actual contextual value... you have a bull-shit "chat" site.. then yep, you can get those "get me off now" posts... but for those that actually involve detailed activity and actual through detailed through processes, those "oooohhh.. I got a response so I feel good" type posts won't work. And sorry to pop your cherry, but my site is NOT the only site like that. There are MANY others that simply won't put up with idiots posting inane topics in their site just so they can "see their name in the lights".
Doesn't matter WHAT generation it is.. if you don't have the time and the knowledge to invest into those niches, then your BS "I gotta no ability to reply with knowledge but I wanna run my mouth" has no place in them.

You VERY CLEARLY stated
give them the gratification they are addicted to
... and you were SIMPLY TOLD that in many niches that aspect won't hunt. Sorry if you got an anal burn from that, but it still remains fact, many sites don't target inane idiotic conversations that "general BS sites" do. MANY niches, by their VERY nature, can't offer that instant "get me off/gratification" aspect. They actually take dedicated involvement and thoughtful input in them to post replies with a factual base.

All while among millions of "GenZs" there will be astrophotography enthusiasts—eventually some may develop hybrid forum/junk soc-media,...

... perhaps even going so far as to supersede Tracy's exclusive astrophotography club before it kills itself.
Not by posting inane, idiotic content... you see, the niche actually requires some intellectual knowledge instead of inane BS input (which you appear to be well versed in). ;)

The simple fact is... until GenZ gets out of the "instant gratification" zone, many niche sites that require thoughtful work and response won't be to their temperament. Seems you may be amongst that brigade? But the simple fact remains.. in some niches you will NEVER get the instant gratification that you appear to think is due. By their very nature, some niches take time to test/confirm certain aspects... unlike your general BS sites that involves certain topics that certain persons trend towards (games and BS chit-chat sites ring a bell?)
The simple matter is I can think of about 20 ways to go back and reprocess this image and have valid factual data to discourse on (BTW which took about 9 hours to process, which is FAR from instant gratification).
full

Whereas if I was talking about current politics (or my personal beliefs on LBGTQ or similar, or "what am I watching now" or any other similar inane topic) I'm more limited because of the very limited "facts" that can be argued. Generally when you get to arguing political positions, you might a well be bashing your head against a granite wall, but when discoursing on a topic relating to the above image.. it's not based upon your "personal beliefs", which by that very nature restrict you, but actual factual processes that may improve your results.

As for the format... I seriously doubt you will see "instant response" ability in ANY script in the near future, not even with what IPS is attempting. with their SaaS offering. Even FB/Twitter do a PISS-POOR job on accumulating data that is easily retrieved at a latter date. Heck, FB can't even get their web based format to take you directly to a response to a comment if their "group" has more than a few hundred messages.

Most of those GenZ folks that are actually interested in my niche aren't going to trend towards your "empty bobble head" type user you apparently believe most of them to be (and when involved with social media prove themselves to be). Will hey have some "simplistic" questions.. yep, but it won't be "what are you watching tonight" type ones. There are some VERY intelligent and dedicated GenZ folks out there (currently one is borrowing one of my astro rigs to get some exposure to the field before she invests much into it).. but they are FAR outweighed by those of empty mind from what I have seen..

I DO rather find it ironic (to take even further, hilarious) that you apparently felt a burn to a the specific comment of
ve them the gratification they are addicted to
and when told that was sheer stupidity in relation to many niches (mine being one) you lashed out. That actually says a lot about you.

Last edited:
And yet you avoid the VERY fact that the "massage me now' brigade (and sorry to burst your already burst lack of knowledge but that's not limited to ANY generation) can't really compete in ANY niche that requires the type of dedication that not only mine, but others do. You appear to want the "fluff me now" (does that say something about you?) aspect of quick, empty replies... but in REAL life... that rarely applies, as one has to devote time/energy to MANY pursuits that are niche and actually require intelligent thought, instant replies are what they are worth, typically nothing as most of them are at most a line or two and have no actual contextual value... you have a bull-shit "chat" site.. then yep, you can get those "get me off now" posts... but for those that actually involve detailed activity and actual through detailed through processes, those "oooohhh.. I got a response so I feel good" type posts won't work. And sorry to pop your cherry, but my site is NOT the only site like that. There are MANY others that simply won't put up with idiots posting inane topics in their site just so they can "see their name in the lights".
Doesn't matter WHAT generation it is.. if you don't have the time and the knowledge to invest into those niches, then your BS "I gotta no ability to reply with knowledge but I wanna run my mouth" has no place in them.
😄Got to admit Tracy, you're very talented at rhetorical manipulation because that is actually quite an impressive gish gallop/word salad.

You VERY CLEARLY stated
🤭Yeah technically you're not wrong—although the way you're interpreting my intended meaning is inaccurate. i don't mind.

... and you were SIMPLY TOLD that in many niches that aspect won't hunt. Sorry if you got an anal burn from that, but it still remains fact, many sites don't target inane idiotic conversations that "general BS sites" do. MANY niches, by their VERY nature can't offer that instant "get me off/gratification" aspect. They actually take dedicated involvement in them to post replies with a factual base.
😂A what? An "anal burn"? 🤣 Honestly never heard that before, imma have to borrow the phrase now. Cheers.

Not by posting inane, idiotic content... you see, the niche actually requires some intellectual knowledge instead of inane BS input (which you appear to be well versed in). ;)
😃Thanks. Tis high praise indeed.

The simple fact is... until GenZ gets out of the "instant gratification" zone, many niche sites that require thoughtful work and response won't be to their temperament.
Yeah no, unfortunately you're still missing the point.
No worries.

Seems you may be amongst that brigade?
🤭Omg,...sure, why not aye.

But the simple fact remains.. is some niches you will NEVER get the instant gratification that appear to think is due.
i agree, and infact cracking up because it almost seems as though you're accusing me of claiming otherwise.

By their very nature, some niches take time to test/confirm certain aspects...
Far out Tracy, until you posted this there was absolutely no way i could've already been cognizant of such an unfathomable concept.

😄 Amazing.

unlike your general BS sites that involves certain topics that certain persons trend towards (games and BS chit-chat sites ring a bell?)
😂What? Could you specify, please and thanks.

The simple matter is I can think of about 20 ways to go back and reprocess this image and have valid factual data to discourse on.
😮Only 20 huh. Wow, you have my deepest sympathies.
Tbh i would've guessed at least 150+ based upon your general presentation being indicative of one possessed with highly developed intellectual capacities.

Whereas if I was talking about current politics (or my personal beliefs on LBGTQ or similar, or "what am I watching now" or any other similar inane topic) I'm more limited because of the very limited "facts" that can be argued. Generally when you get to arguing political positions, you might a well be bashing your head against a granite wall, but when discoursing on a topic relating to the above image.. it's not based upon your "personal beliefs", which by that very nature restrict you.
😄Damn right aye! Totally agree with ya regarding political twerpletry.

As for the format... I seriously doubt you will see "instant response" ability in ANY script in the near future, not even with what IPS is attempting. with their SaaS offering.
🙂No clue, but you're probably right again.

Even FB/Twitter do a PISS-POOR job on accumulating data that is easily retrieved at a latter date. Heck, FB can't even get their web based format to take you directly to a response to a comment if their "group" has more than a few hundred messages.
😁 Wouldn't know, never use them.

Most of those GenZ folks that are actually interested in my niche aren't going to trend towards your "empty bobble head" type user you apparently believe most of them to be (and when involved with social media prove themselves to be).
😂Ahhh now that's a comical accusation. Could have some fun with it but it's irrelevant to the topic.

Will hey have some "simplistic" questions.. yep, but it won't be "what are you watching tonight" type ones. There are some VERY intelligent and dedicated GenZ folks out there.. but they are FAR outweighed by those of empty mind from what I have seen..
😄Yes that exactly what i briefly touched on earlier too.

I DO rather find it ironic (to take even further, hilarious) that you apparently felt a burn to a the specific comment of
🤣i'm sure that's probably entirely factual, yet for the life of me cannot recall any burning sensation.

However i do see you've apparently now edited this part out of the original post—😜too bad i was too quick huh.

and when told that was sheer stupidity in relation to many niches (mine being one) you lashed out. That actually says a lot about you.
😉👍 Absolutely—ironic.

Thanks Tracy. We've no doubt contributed most constructively to the subject of; "Getting Gen Z interested in forums".

Cheers for sharing such insightful elucidation for this subject. Accordingly, we shall hiss and spit acid at "Gen Zs" until they submit or something like that.🤭

I seriously doubt you will see "instant response" ability in ANY script in the near future,
Discourse was doing this in 2014. Whether it still does, or whether it's as buggy as it was then, is an exercise of discovery for the reader.

Thanks Tracy. We've no doubt contributed most constructively to the subject of; "Getting Gen Z interested in forums".
Simple fact is... for the majority of GenZ.. if you can't "get them off" with a quick reply... you are going to lose them. And unluckily.... that trend is expanding to other generations also. The ability to perform logical thought processing seems to be a major issue with much of society when it comes to online interaction. It seems to be more "I want to feel good" rather than "I have to actually think".
Unluckily.. this isn't actually limited to GenZ... it seems that any cognizant thought that exceeds 280 characters or a "short video" is well beyond many of their abilities.

The very simple fact remains.. for many niche topics, many in the current generations don't have the ability to "play". The simple fact of the matter is they are simply too lazy to exert the energy necessary to participate. Is this a "bash" on a particular generation? Nope, it is simply a "bash" on society at large.. it seems that as the years go by, we get "stupider" on what we are able to do.
And hate to be the "stone breaker" for you... but that is EASILY shown with historical data.

Last edited:
Discourse was doing this in 2014. Whether it still does, or whether it's as buggy as it was then, is an exercise of discovery for the reader.
Not to the extent I am referencing.. heck, XF back in the 1.x days was alerting you almost immediately to new replies if you were online.. but what I reference is more a "chat" feature. And by that very nature it goes against what a "normal" forum consists of. Can it extend a forum...sure, but most don't.
Not to mention... honestly, Disourse is STILL very limited it's abilities.. you might as well engage a "chat script".

Not to the extent I am referencing..
It really was to the extent you're referencing - new posts would be *loaded* in as they were made, not just the XF-style 'new posts have arrived'. You'd literally see new content arrive while you were typing relies.

It was awful.

It really was to the extent you're referencing - new posts would be *loaded* in as they were made, not just the XF-style 'new posts have arrived'. You'd literally see new content arrive while you were typing relies.

It was awful.
Granted... but the problem is the limitations involved I personally don't want my page reflowing each time a new post arrives... basically... what you reference is no more than a simple "chat" script. If I'm going to run a site, I want WELL more than a simple discussion/chat area... If I wanted that I could go to FB groups for free, or simply (as I mentioned) engage a chat script.
It ultimately resolves around what your site needs... if its' simple "chatter" then discourse is your coconut.
If it's the ability to allow your users to actually create articles that draw traffic to your site, or create classified ads that will draw people, create a simple link directory or as far as to be able to "Showcase" items... it lacks. Ultimately, the end result is get what fits what your site needs. If you simply need "instant' communication amongst membes, why not simply get a really good chat script? ;)
Granted, Discourse can have "nodes" for topical content.. but ultimately, in the "big scale" of needs for sites that want to offer content and attract those to provide it, it's seriously lacking.in extensions.

Last edited:
That's just it, Discourse purported to be a forum, that behaved like a chat script.

And the fact that Discourse is getting some big name clients in - just look at their cloud pricing - suggests that there is clearly an audience for that sort of engagement because they're still selling it and still in business. NodeBB too, though they're less in your face about the chat-style behaviour.

But consider: why is it that Discourse made headway into the corporate spaces, the technical communities, like Let's Encrypt's own support community is Discourse - and you can't tell me that they're a simple chatter venue.

And the fact that Discourse is getting some big name clients in - just look at their cloud pricing - suggests that there is clearly an audience for that sort of engagement because they're still selling it and still in business. NodeBB too, though they're less in your face about the chat-style behaviour.
And I don't deny that there is an "audience" for it.. the same way that there is an audience for vacuous 240 character posts, short video clips and such.. the simple fact is, not all of us live on the need for instant/short gratification responses... some of us actually desire intelligent and cognizant conversations. :rolleyes:

As I've repeatedly stated.. simple BS chit-chat sites are a thing of the past...those that deal with more topical nature niche areas have a better survivability aspect.

Simple fact is... for the majority of GenZ.. if you can't "get them off" with a quick reply... you are going to lose them. And unluckily.... that trend is expanding to other generations also. The ability to perform logical thought processing seems to be a major issue with much of society when it comes to online interaction. It seems to be more "I want to feel good" rather than "I have to actually think".
Unluckily.. this isn't actually limited to GenZ... it seems that any cognizant thought that exceeds 280 characters or a "short video" is well beyond many of their abilities.

The very simple fact remains.. for many niche topics, many in the current generations don't have the ability to "play". The simple fact of the matter is they are simply too lazy to exert the energy necessary to participate. Is this a "bash" on a particular generation? Nope, it is simply a "bash" on society at large.. it seems that as the years go by, we get "stupider" on what we are able to do.
And hate to be the "stone breaker" for you... but that is EASILY shown with historical data.
😂Look Tracy, i just don't care about any of your hysterical ranting.

Yes, that's why the areas of this site that are simple BS chit-chat are so dead quiet.
Please, show us some "big sites" that are simple chit chat and not topical in nature... we aren't talking specific nodes of an existing niche site that are set aside to keep the main segment of the site on topic.
And you are well aware of that. 😈

Twitter.

Since you seemed to deflect and move the goal posts every other point, I thought I'd join you.
I'll give you Twitter (although it doesn't have the "nodes" as asked like a typical forum does - Twitter make discovery a little more difficult than looking at a simple grouping), and even FB... but once more... we are specifically talking forums, since I doubt many here run Mastadon... BTW, you do know that "Twitter" is "dying on the vine" (by the doomsayers definition) since it's "bleeding" users based upon TOU...After Elon's "assumption of power" in January, it dropped by around 9% for that month alone on use.
Now, once more... show us any forum that is general chatter that is growing.... new ones that come about are usually long gone after 6 months. The very big site that you mentioned is what is killing those "chatter" forums.
There are much better platforms designed for "idle chatter" (even Discourse being one) than topically specific forums.
What works great for a "chit chat" (social media) type setup rarely works well for niche sites, especially when it comes to the finding of "older" data that is still pertinent.
Good or bad.... trying to change your format just to "get a specific set of users" is usually a losing proposition in this case, as for most niche sites, the GenZ (in this specific case) users have no interest in them. They have a different interest "zone".... and a forum format will rarely settle that itch no matter how you tweak it... if you work to duplicate other sites they utilize... then you will frequently use the vary power that the "old style forum" provides for content retention and retrieval.
One site that "breaks" the mold is OffTopicZ... but they've been around apparently since around 2005... good luck getting any "new" site off the ground.

As for Twitter.. hell, it seems like they have a major issue with keeping some "image" content current on their users pages lately? Maybe because of the recent change enforced by them?

https://twitter.com/AstroWhat_forumIronically.. you click on those links.. guess what shows up... the actual image.
And to take the irony even further, FB seems to have more success with keeping their images current in linked posts.
https://www.facebook.com/astrowhat.forum/Dang... look at the difference in the unfurl ability of each.

Last edited:

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Who read this thread (Total readers: 0)
No registered users viewing this thread.

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 22 81.5%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds