Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Free Stuff vs Paid

Advertisement Placeholder
For basic image editing.. Gimp rules.
It is rather a PITA to get certain custom filters installed if running other than Linux/Windows... but it is a handy and powerful open source (see @Arantor I actually do know what open source is and how it benefits people ;) ) tool.

For basic image editing.. Gimp rules.
It is rather a PITA to get certain custom filters installed if running other than Linux/Windows... but it is a handy and powerful open source (see @Arantor I actually do know what open source is and how it benefits people ;) ) tool.
And yet you sneer at the notion of a new free forum software.

And yet you sneer at the notion of a new free forum software.
Once more... no, I don't "sneer"... I simply emphasize why try to re-invent the wheel in a niche that is declining when there are many better open source pursuits you could engage in... and probably some of them would be out of your normal "comfort zone" and would push/challenge you..

That’s an interestingly revisionist view of things. Especially as I’d specifically proposed things that were explicitly not the same as your average forum software, because I even said I had no desire to retread the same ground already gone over!

But I went into making games. Still not going to make money because that’s an even more precarious industry to get into and I can wait for all the other people to tell me how I’m not making things right over there.

Especially as I’d specifically proposed things that were explicitly not the same as your average forum software
Forum software is forum software... trying to call it something different because it is skinned/presented differently is simply sticking lipstick on a pig.
There is only so much that can be done in the current core structure, especially when you (most likely) would also target it towards being ran on low end shared hosting.... which is notorious for function restrictions.

Then you weren’t paying attention. But it’s all a bit moot now.

There are tons of free things that are great.
When I was into computer art, I found that a lot of the free 3D models were as good as the paid ones. What free stuff do you find interesting? Of course, in the web development world there is tons of free stuff.

All things Linux and BSD are pretty amazing free things. Linux specifically is used more than some people even realize.

There are several good free web browsers like Firefox.

Free Image editors like Gimp or Krita.

I use Gimp for all my image needs, and I use DaVinci Resolve for editing my videos. I don't need to rely on Photoshop, After Effects, or Premier to have the tools needed to make graphics for my websites or videos for my Youtube channel. Best of all, if I do want to ever purchase a license for DaVinci Resolve, it's a one time fee and then I can use as many effects as I want without having to worry about paying a monthly or annually fee. I don't really need the paid version though.

I am so glad we don't have to pay for decent web browsers. That would be a nightmare if we did.
Opera used to be paid. It was worth it at the time, and honestly I’d rather go back there if it were an option because I *strongly* dislike the current near monopoly Google has on ramming new tech through into the ecosystem.

”but there’s other browsers!” Yes, most of them powered by Chromium, i.e. Google.

Opera used to be paid. It was worth it at the time, and honestly I’d rather go back there if it were an option because I *strongly* dislike the current near monopoly Google has on ramming new tech through into the ecosystem.

”but there’s other browsers!” Yes, most of them powered by Chromium, i.e. Google.
It is almost like we went full circle just a different company with the stranglehold.

It is almost like we went full circle just a different company with the stranglehold.
And, effectively, a worse one. While MS’s stranglehold was effective for years, their damage was to effectively slow down development, not increase and increase the surface area of everything.

MS would never have wanted, say, WebUSB or WebMIDI or any of the myriad new APIs that exist for… almost noone’s benefit. But Google sees a benefit here: they make it borderline impossible for any new entrants into the market to catch up.

Just one more example of the "fun" of trying to find out how to do something in a "free" script compared to a paid script.
This took about 30 minutes of research to figure out.. .the same in XenForo... about 5.
Both using similar search terms.... so not dependent upon "knowing" the templating/CSS of XF compared to SMF. Simple search term that would apply to both.
Show a different color (or image) for read/unread posts/topics.

Screen Shot 2023-07-16 at 4.41.52 AM.png

Was it that difficult once it was figured out.. nope... it was getting the information to REACH that point that showed the difference.

Currently I'm contemplating XF, IPS or Woltlab on that site... I have licenses for each, the WoltLab will be much more expensive when taking into consideration add-ons to give me the same functions on the other two scripts.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 24 75.0%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds