Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

• Admin Junkies is proud to announce 📣 an awesome ☀️ summer special on ✍️ Content Bundles for YOUR forums! Kickstart your discussions with a Content Bundle. For the entire month of June, use the promo code AJSUMMER 🎉 to receive 50% 🎁 off your content bundle. For example, a package that normally only costs 100 Credits will only cost 50 💰 credits. Full news here.

Free Ice-Cream

Sam1

Mythical member
Website
holderhost.com
Credits
.... And it's gone.

Actually this topic is about Kim Dotcom who is about to launch his new website: Mega. He gave out free Ice-Creams to Aucklanders (with 10 Willy Wonka like tickets to go to his launch party in some of them). Kim Dotcom's delicious PR | Stuff.co.nz

Pity that Auckland always get's everything. I live an hour and a half south in Hamilton. Anyway- thoughts on his new venture? It seems to be something designed to protect your file privacy. :) MEGA

Advertisement Placeholder
I'm not too sure about it, I guess we are going to have to wait until it launches to see how it turns out.

I guess the working of it makes it pretty fail proof. I mean, If you are uploading something, the data gets (AES)encrypted at client side and gives you the key for decryption. Now the whole privacy depends on you. If you want to share the files, you will have to share the key along with the link. So that makes you responsible for your actions.

Now in case his servers gets raided again, not even with all the super computers they can decrypt the contents without the key. So that makes the data not important.

Now I have read like the customer details are not kept to an extend and the ip details are always in RAM. So in case they raid the server, once the Servers are offline, the data is gone. Another thing is no single server has the complete data, it has spread over several Virtual servers with contents on the RAM. So in case of any raids, they can simply shut down their other servers and boot again, so that all the data from the RAM will be lost.

I read it a few weeks back. So I am not sure if this is entirely true. My memory is not that good! :p

That's pretty secure privacy as long as you personally aren't being monitored.... It will be interesting to see how the US decides to handle this new site. It doesn't look like he will be extradited to the US over the MegaUpload case (because of the enormity of the botch ups and the lack of good evidence). Where are his servers hosted? Edit- found out they're hosted in Germany.

I liked this Q&A in the FAQ:
Why base a cloud storage company in New Zealand, of all places?
Among other important reasons, New Zealand's native Māori name is "Aotearoa", which means "Land of the long white cloud".

That's pretty secure privacy as long as you personally aren't being monitored.... It will be interesting to see how the US decides to handle this new site. It doesn't look like he will be extradited to the US over the MegaUpload case (because of the enormity of the botch ups and the lack of good evidence). Where are his servers hosted? Edit- found out they're hosted in Germany.

I liked this Q&A in the FAQ:
Why base a cloud storage company in New Zealand, of all places?
Among other important reasons, New Zealand's native Māori name is "Aotearoa", which means "Land of the long white cloud".
New ones or old ones?

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 23 82.1%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic Backgrounds

Granite Backgrounds